PF

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbonte

Reaction score
Hello fellow engineers,
After several weeks behind my computer for the design and spending lots of hours behind my mill and lathe, I finaly can say that I've build something that runs not on hot air or petrol or steam, but on a pair of legs...

now I can get back to making model engines...

Cheers,
F.

DSC00001.jpg

Oh, come on, you have got to tell us more than just a single photo!

How did you make the wheel, and the tire?

Very nice job.

Seriously! Tell more! It looks like more time on a welder than a mill and lathe. You must have a tube bender of some kind.

What did you design in?

You're absolutely right of course: for the front wheel, rear wheel and backbone, I had to visit a local mechanic with a bending machine. Apart from that, I didn't do the TIG welding myself either. I had to rely on the same guy and he did a fabulous job.
The rest was made in my workshop:
- 80 spokes in total
- front and rear axles
- steering assembly
- front fork
- handlebars and seat mounting brackets.

I tried to keep things simple because I was afraid to arrive at that point where you are limited by expensive machinery or extensive external labor.

The front wheel was made according to my leg-length from 1" stainless steel tubing which was bent, welded at the ends and cut in half by a custom made follower tool that fitted on my angle grinder.
You can read my building process here: http://pennyfarthinginbruges.blogspot.be/
I've been neglecting my blog for the last couple of months because it was much more fun to ride the bike than to sit in front of my computer writing about it... :)

Very nice project. Your blog gave a good description of your build progress. As a fellow cyclist I salute you for your effortsThm:

I don't think I could ride one myself, though on some bike rides my fellow cyclists seem to do OK with them. I have no idea where they got them and never had the chance to ask them

Cheers,
Phil

Latest posts

Back