parts for an old time genny.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations Kermit. It's a good choice.

I'm sure you'll love it.

Kind of off topic but on topic for several of your posts. I haven't looked at this thread in a little while and when I saw the doll house it made me laugh a little. That is the exact same dollhouse my wife and I built for my daughter last year. I think the least enjoyable part of the entire build was all the little wooden shingles. :)

GOOD CHOICE KERMIT, IM SURE YOU WILL LOVE IT. PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK FOR ME
I have a mini mill (same as the micro mark) and love it, it also converts to cnc easily.
-B-

I have moved the steam engine mentioned here to its own post and will post more on the doll house in another thread I haven't started just yet. So, in an effort to drag this large and cumbersome post back onto topic, I will post my current design for winding the generator rotor.

The wrap will be symmetrical to the axle, but each phase, will build on top of the phase laid down before it, so each one will be slightly longer on the ends of the rotor.

Here is the idea with just the first phase shown.

Kermit

View attachment rotor winding.pdf

I opened the drawing you had...
The thought that went through my head was...

"How does he know how to do that?"

Maybe I missed it, maybe I don't remember, but...tell us again what brought you to designing and building such a neat thing.

zeeprogrammer said:
I opened the drawing you had...
The thought that went through my head was...

"How does he know how to do that?"

Maybe I missed it, maybe I don't remember, but...tell us again what brought you to designing and building such a neat thing.

Every electronics course the USNavy had to offer was "offered" to me. (shoved down my throat) ;) I spent almost three years in schooling before ever even seeing the ocean. They also sent us through all the motor drive/director control electric courses that the Gunners had to take. I was a Firecontrolman for the Mk92 weapons system. A gun and missle Radar controlled firing and directing system.

I have no choice, but to know these things. I was a valuable 'tool' in the militaries arsenal of weapons. ;D

Now I just eyeball everything to see that it is built 'to the print'. QC work. I'm used to working with my hands. twenty plus years as an electronics service tech on a variety of machines. Digital cinema, pharm dispensing robotics, TV station engineering, Satellite microwave communications, Telephone office RF to fiberoptic multiplexer installation. Even a short stint doing warranty repair of Delco and Philco car sound systems. ;)

Just want to get my hands dirty again. Invariably we fall back on the knowledge we have from which to build on, in new and different dirrections. An electrical generator is familiar to me in the "new" world of model engine building, or model engineering in general.

So, needle pulling thread, and all that, plus a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. :big:

Kermit

PS As long as I'm here. Why not put up the few photos of my meager progress over the holidays?

The mill stand/bench.
millbench_15sm.jpg

millbench_13sm.jpg

millbench_14sm.jpg

The Doll House
interior walls
millbench_18sm.jpg

crown moulding
millbench_19sm.jpg

millbench_21sm.jpg

What am I doing in this forum? ;D :big:

Kermit

From my perspective, that's a varied life that gave you many opportunities to learn and experience. Mine's been more boring...not that I'd trade it for anyone else's though. ;D

Kermit said:
What am I doing in this forum?

Having fun! And teaching, inspiring, hopefully learning, mentoring,....

I'm sure I'm not the only one enjoying the house building.

Latest posts

Back