Overhaul of another South Bend, a light ten

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttrikalin

Reaction score
Here's how the freshly oiled and cleaned light ten looks at this point.
I will post some photos of how we got here in a later post.
I wanted the cabinet darker and the lathe more towards the beige, but I don't give a rat's a$& :D .
Leveled and set in it's permanent place...

IMG_0324.jpg

Another look.

IMG_0326.jpg

This is the variable frequency drive that handles the 1/2 HP 3 phase motor:

IMG_0333.jpg

I hooked it up temporarily, but never got to making the nice controls I meant to make...

IMG_0334.jpg

This is a carriage stop and a holder for a 2 inch travel dial indicator.

IMG_0327.jpg

And this is the home brewed threading dial. It awaits painting of the engravings (Lacquer Stick -- it's in the mail -- thanks for the pointer Gail in NM)... I should also change the setscrew to a shorter brass-tipped one... Oh, well, temporarily it'll do (will be there next year :big:)

IMG_0329.jpg

What I absolutely hate is the lantern style tool post.

IMG_0331.jpg

Which is going to change to an under construction piston style quick change tool post... Here's the body. I stopped the boring operations as I was getting tons of chatter, and I decided to make a decent boring bar and a decent boring bar holder. When I do, I'll resume construction...

IMG_0330.jpg

take care,
tom in MA

OK, some photos of the overhaul.

I had never operated a lathe bigger than a Sherline (heck any other lathe other than a Sherline... ). I decided to get myself some old iron. I went for a light ten (SB10K).

This SB10K was used in a high school machine shop. The clutch was stuck, so an apron dismantling was in order. Apart from that the machine is in OK shape - at least by inspection. Take a look at the ways, scraping marks have vanished near the headstock. The depression is 0.002” on the operator side, and 0.001” on the opposite side.

IMG_7515.jpg

another view ...

IMG_7518.jpg

Apron with almost all gears and clutch removed...

IMG_7526.jpg

Various gears in a bag with acetone and carb cleaner for degreasing... The carb cleaner is some nasty stuff, but works tremendously well.

IMG_7523.jpg

more pics to come...

Gearbox disassembly almost done...

IMG_7528.jpg

Quick change gearbox gears getting degreased...

IMG_7521.jpg

Headstock, cover and back gear removed...

IMG_7514.jpg

Spindle removed...

IMG_7531.jpg

Spindle, bull gear, thrust bearing, cone pulleys...

IMG_7529.jpg

Removing the cup oilers...

IMG_7541.jpg

Degreasing in a few liters of petrol and half a liter of carb cleaner...

IMG_7577.jpg

Clean to the bare metal...

IMG_7582.jpg

Masked bearings and surfaces not to be painted...

IMG_7587.jpg

One hand of light beige industrial grade Benjamin Moore paint...

IMG_7601.jpg

You get the gist...

take care,

tom in MA

Very nice work, Tom.
I rebuilt a SB9 40+ years ago. I did not do nearly as nice a job as you have done.
Gail in NM

Tom;
Nice job, good to see how others have tackled this work. I'm about to do the same to a 9x20 I just found, painting is my least favorite task. I'll be stealing some of your de-greasing methods! The best part of your labour's is the racing stripe on the back wall :big: !
Cheers
Garry

hey Gail,

I enjoyed the job cause I learnt the lathe inside out. Painting was a stupid choice on retrospect. I do not care for looks in general. The thing would not rust.

The problem is that even 3 months after painting, the paint is not fully cured. It is dry, but you can very easily scratch it. It's supposed to withstand scratches though... Oh well, if I were doing it again, I'd use Rustoleum. Like most people.

Garry, good luck. Me like the stripe :big: - anastasia does not love it tho :hDe: ...

take care,
tom in MA

Looks great Tom!

Hope my "9" looks as nice!

Dave

That is a great looking lathe and I do like the color, its way to nice to use, I rebuilt my Atlas 12" years ago and then my SB Shaper, it is the Red White & Blue one on the Shaper group, I have several lathe that I am going to rebuild when it get a little cooler down here, the first will be my 1925 SB 25A, not sure on the color yet, sure like yours, don't even get it dirty, just kidding, have fun, Lathe Nut

Thats a good looking Lathe Tom
Pete

Great rehab job Tom. I need to do the same with my Heavy 10, and it is good to see you tackle yours.

I like the paint scheme also. Atypical, but very nicely done.

Nelson

Great job For you guys that are thinking of doing the same ,oven cleaner works great too.I remove all grease and paint from a 1941 John Deere H that I restored years ago .Try it I think you will like it.Dale

Tom,
Good job. Your lathe looks very nice. I liked your carriage stop and the holder for the dial indicator together........!clever idea!.......I share the same hole in mine, the only difference is I used a cotter pin for holding it.

DSC_6335.jpg

DSC_6336.jpg

DSC_6337.jpg

Enjoy your new lathe...you deserve it.

Nice looking lathe. Out of all the lathes that I have owned, a 10K was the most suitable for model engine building. You do need a quick change tool post. If your lathe has the safety rod that keeps you from lifting the cover to change belts, put it in the scrap box.

That looks great, nothing wrong with the color.

Did you really have acetone and carb cleaner in a plastic bag, or was that after cleaning? I probably misread it.

Lee

Nice job! You might want to round the corners of that crotch-level control plate ;D

LeeScrounger said:
That looks great, nothing wrong with the color.

Did you really have acetone and carb cleaner in a plastic bag, or was that after cleaning? I probably misread it.
Lee

after cleaning...
;D

smfr said:
Nice job! You might want to round the corners of that crotch-level control plate ;D

Ah, that would take the pain out of the machining, wouldn't it?
;D

ttrikalin said:
Ah, that would take the pain out of the machining, wouldn't it?
;D

OH Man! I bet your a lot of fun on a Saturday night! ;D

Latest posts

Back