Overhaul of a 9" SB model "A"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allthumbz said:
Great job! Now come on over and help me do my Heavy 10!

;D

Nelson

Oh the fun is just begining...I am on to the gearbox/leadscrew next. I must admit I am not looking forward to the gearbox....but ....It always seems worse than it really is. I'm a bit nervouse about the leadscrew because it is sooooooo long. I don't want to damage it.

Dave

steamer said:
I'm a bit nervouse about the leadscrew because it is sooooooo long. I don't want to damage it.

When I did mine anastasia was there holding the leadscrew... but it seems to me that it is hefty enuf not to be damaged by it's own weight.

take care,
tom in MA

Dave,

Its looking real nice. I look at this everyday just so I don't miss anything.

Kenny

Tom and Kenny,

Thank you for your interest and support...it's a big job!

Here's my contributions for today...not much but it's MUCH better than it was ...if you go back a page or two

P8130143.jpg

Dave

Well...taking the leadscrew out was no big deal.....as I expected....pretty much a non event.

The gear box appears to be a mess...but it also appears that the gears are in good shape.

I gave it a healthy shot of Carb cleaner and took some photo's

P8180144.jpg

P8180145.jpg

P8180147.jpg

Next thing is a complete disassemble, clean, repair if required, paint, and reassemble with wicks.

Dave

OK

Gearbox is stripped down and soaking in Mineral spirts for a while....found 1 bushing and 1 end of a mating shaft that are worn .005" each...the surface finish is pretty bad on that worn shaft...I think I will replace the end of that shaft and put in a new bushing....I'll post some pictures.....the cause is lack of lubrication due to "mummified" wicks!. They are the consistancy of softwood now..These wicks are the only way this shaft gets any oil at all...

The rest of the shafts might have .001-.002" wear on them..but the finish is good as are the bushings...I'll leave them be.

Steve Wells book was very helpful here. These shafts only come out a specific way. But it's easy if you know that.

Southbendgearboxshaftrepair.jpg

Dave

indeed the disassembly of the gearbox can be tricky, at first glance. I did not know of steve wells' books. I googled just now. I wish I had bought them before doing mine, would have saved some time and some head scratching (with oily hands)...

The only thing is that I wish I had put longer wicks (twice the size) when I changed them. Seems to me the oil I put in the gearbox drains a tad too fast...

take care,
tom in MA

I'll keep that in mind....I may alter the plan and do the final OD machining after the part is loctited on.....thereby getting everything concentric....but what a crudy job.....the congealed oil/dirt/ "crud" in the open bottom gearbox is nasty....no one's been in there in 60 years......

I think this is going to be a honey when she's done...........eventually.. ::)

I'll have to put in a drip tray under the gearbox to try to keep things tidy.....

Here's the rebuild kit on the bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuild-Man...527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230a60e89f

Dave

OK some pictures

Simple green and water with a wire brush ....very effective ...and takes the paint off too!

P8200148.jpg

P8200149.jpg

P8200150.jpg

P8200151.jpg

I'll let it dry and paint tomorrow........while the paint dries I'll repair the shaft...I've already

made the bushing....

Dave

Well ...never got to the shaft today. I did get to paint the housing...inside white and outside grey.

All the gearing was scrubbed hard in SG and water....then dried and oiled.

I cleaned and painted the gear banjo and the associated stock gears.

I restored the gear chart label. I just buffed it slightly with a fine beartex abrasive pad to brighten the brass letters and lines....of course now the paint is dull....60 years hasn't helped either....so I put a coat of clear gloss coat over it and it popped nicely!. Just right ...cleaned up and completely readable but "vintage"

Her birthday is coming up....I doubt she'll be done by then.....but I'll keep plugging away.

I still have to tear down, clean, paint and or repair the selector arm assemblies....their soaking in OMS right now.

Dave

Came upon an old SB 9 of similar vintage as mine today....I have the "Forward" and "Reverse" well REVERSED!

:big: :big:

I'm going to leave it as it matches my Logans switch, which means I'll screw up less

Dave

Steamer,

Awesome guide for the rest of us who need to restore ours.

Thanks,

Nelson

Thanks Nelson

I'm in the process of getting my steamboat ready for a meet for next week. I'm afraid the SB is lanquishing at the moment while I do that....but don't fear....boating season is almost over.

Dave

steamer said:
I'm in the process of getting my steamboat ready for a meet for next week. I'm afraid the SB is lanquishing at the moment while I do that....but don't fear....boating season is almost over.

is this an RC steam boat you allude to? :D

take care,
tom in MA

ttrikalin said:
is this an RC steam boat you allude to? :D

take care,
tom in MA

Oh no.....12" to the foot scale.....all 25 feet....search under "Rushforth" you'll find her.

Dave

Ah, just read the thread... what a wonderful boat, and what a nice engine. Hats off, Sir.

:bow:

take care,
tom in MA

ttrikalin said:
Ah, just read the thread... what a wonderful boat, and what a nice engine. Hats off, Sir.

:bow:

take care,
tom in MA

Thanks Tom!

Scored the gear guard today!

gearguard.jpg

I'll be getting back on this project shortly once things cool down at work.

Dave

Work has been occupying all my time as of late with various crisis and trips. I have not progressed much as of late...be patient.

I did score one missing collet and a complete lever collet closer on the Bay today though.....it will be added to the list of accessories for the old girl.

This will be one WELL tooled SB9!

woohoo1

Dave

Back