Overhaul of a 9" SB model "A"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the HS is stripped and cleaned. The shaft and journals are perfect!

Needs paint, wicks lube and reassembly....I'll take a photo later of the pieces

Dave

OK....the HS is ready to go back together

P7310121.jpg

P7310122.jpg

The bearings are perfect...not a mark on them! ;D

P7310123.jpg

P7310124.jpg

P7310125.jpg

P7310126.jpg

P7310128.jpg

Old wicks! full of sludge.....glad I did this!

P7310131.jpg

two coats of paint and she looks much better

Dave

While I waited for the paint to dry I started in on the gears

The main gear in the train came first.....I found some trouble
The bore was scored badly and the stationary bushing was pretty gauled up.

P7310132.jpg

I took an adjustable reamer and opened the bore up .005". I then made a new stationary bushing to suite the new bore....new with old
P7310134.jpg

Just needs some paint.....

Dave

Nice going Dave
Pete

Dave,

When I did mine, i remember seeing red paint (after stripping some layers) near oiling holes. Your gear has such a mark. cannot be a coincidence. Was SB marking the oil holes red?

take care,
tom in MA

Tom and MetalMad,
Thankyou for your interest and support!

Thanks Metal Mad....I'm not much of a painter...but it looks good to me anyway!

Tom
Maybe...but the hue matched the numbers that were on the gear cover exactly...I don't think SB would have marked their product gear cover quite like that...so It's inconclusive...I can assure you though, the crud in the oil holes on that gear was so deep and packed in that no oil was getting to the bearing! I'm hoping the wicks saved the other bearings from similar fates!

Dave

Ya know Tom....Here's a theory....I wonder if in the literature for the "Setting up a school shop"

http://www.wewilliams.net/docs/1954 - School Shop Planning and Specifications Manual.pdf

That mention isn't made to the instructors to put a dab of red paint on the oil holes so that the students can find them...no time to search right now...but maybe this week. I say this as I have a hunch this was a trade school lathe.....but it's all a hunch.

Dave

this theory works for me...
a bit of googling... Dennis Turk is an expert on South Bends...

dennis turk on practical machinist forum said:
[...] On some of the old lathe parts I have gotten SB painted a little dab of red paint at these oil holes. They also some times put red paint on top of the flip cap on Gits oil cups.

I have seen this mostly in the twenties and early thirties machines.

Turk

based on what he said, this was done by SB on early lathes. Mine had them and came from a highschool. Mine was cast after 1974... Your theory holds water.

take care,

tom

I guess it makes sense...the students in the 20's and 30's became the teachers in the 50's and 70's too.

Dave

Started the HS reassembly last night....I found a small galled spot in the spindle pulley that must have been dirt in the oil grooves that caused it while I was disassembling it.

It wasnt' going to go back to together! I stoned it smooth and I'll try again tomorrow.
The pulley is a VERY tight fit on the shaft! I can not imagine using grease in this application,,,,only light oil,

I'll take some pictures and post when I do......I have got to get my boat in the water or it will be a wasted season!

Dave

steamer said:
I have got to get my boat in the water or it will be a waisted season!

Dave

Is that a fat or thin waist or is it just wasted ::)

Best Regards
Bob

OK not only does it look better...it is better!

P8070138.jpg

P8070139.jpg

P8070140.jpg

I need to get some dry transfer letters to complete the switch plate (FORWARD) AND (REVERSE)

Then I'll go over that with some spray polyureathane which will make the black glossy and protect the letters from coming off....at least for a little while.

Dave

Tom,

I started looking carefully under the muck, and all the oil cups and oil holes have the "red dab" on them.

I may restore that feature as well!... :big:

Dave

Here's the drum switch picture....

SB9drumswitch.jpg

The dots are the screw heads I think....I don't think there is a "F" or an "R"

This part should be easy

Dave

Observations about the headstock:

The fit between the pulley and the shaft is VERY tight. After 60 years...OK 59 years 11 months...some dirt got in there, which was fine until I took it apart. I gaulled the bore , and more importantly I left a gaul bead on the shaft. Interestingly enough, I couldn't feel it or see it until I came to the realization that it MUST be there! I VERY lightly stoned the back end of the pulley diameter of the shaft and as soon as the stone went over the area I could feel the stone hit it....After I stroked it a few times with the stone, you could see a little dot of material on the shaft....still couldn't feel it with your finger tip, but you could with the stone.

A couple of strokes later, the "dot" came off....I checked all around the last quarter inch of this diameter and found one more "dot"....it also came off very quickly.

I cleaned and oiled everything and with a little twist of the pulley it slipped right on......

If I did this again, I would flush this area with kerosene first REALLY well before I took it apart.

Just go easy .....it's a close fit

Dave

Great job! Now come on over and help me do my Heavy 10!

;D

Nelson

Back