Overhaul of a 9" SB model "A"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Andrew!

I put the first coat on....it'll take at least three to fill the rough cast surface and smooth it out!

Dave

Drilled the cabinet for the feet, and put the first coat of paint on the bed....looks good!

Dave

Hey Dave I hope we see some pictures soon.

Don

Hey Don, here ya go.

2012-04-02_10-22-23_570.jpg

2012-04-02_10-22-55_806.jpg

2 coats inside and one outside.......Nothing really special I think....but it looks better than when I got her! :big:

Dave

Wow! It really looking good Dave. Will you be putting DRO'S on it too.

Don

Ya know....I don't have a DRO on anything I own....but I think I'll put one on this.

I'm thinking DRO Pro's 2 axis........but not right now.....I've sunk enough into her already...need to get her running now.....then....well my birthday is coming in June...... ;D

Dave

New question....and one of asthetics.

This lathe had the "South Bend" logo cast into a recess in the front of the bed. The photo above shows that.

OK what to do with it? Namely how should I paint it?

I've come down to two courses of action:

A. Paint the background the base gray and paint the raised letters black.

B. Paint the background SB red and paint the raised letters black.

I'm looking for a "Less is more" with this lathe...like "A", ......but the red background route would go good with the QC box threading chart.. Like "B" ....hence my quandry.

What say you guys?

Dave

I would go with option B with a thin gold stripe at the outher edge

Holt

Well, I decided to go with "B"....the casting feature doesn't really allow for much of a "border", so just the red and black letters.....

I'm using a "Regal Red" from Rustoleum. It's a very dark red.

Inspiration.....
SouthBendLathes.jpg

Dave

Hah! Dave I would go with B also I like the red with gold trim.

Don

Thm: I love the blue Dave; the old girls going to look stunning when done.

Kind regards, Arnold

It does have a bit of blue in it don't it! :big:

Thanks for the kind words Arnold!

Dave

Well, I've got quite a bit done today...but still a bunch left to do.

Next is the cabinet levelers...and then I can level up and check the bed....

Additionally, I'll need to extend the belt tension arm...but that's easy

A ways to go for sure
but it coming

2012-04-03_19-15-24_43.jpg

2012-04-03_19-15-37_65.jpg

Dave

Gee Dave that is going to be one nice lathe, your doing a great job on it. I can see you don't take shortcuts, and It does look a little blue, I love it.

Don

I think the blue might be the Droid camera.....but it looks good anyway

I's supposed to be "Smoke Gray".....at least according to the can of Rustoleum! :big:

Dave

Here's an earlier shot of the headstock....same paint job though....different camera!

P8070138.jpg

I think the flash in my Droid has a bit of blue in it.....ya think!?

Whether it is the camera or not it looks good and has a tint of blue. Keep um coming.

Don

That is going to be a beaut Dave!!!!

Love the cream on the inside of the bed!!
Very classy! Thm:

Andrew

Holt and Don, and Andrew!

Thankyou for your kind comments.....leveling feet and belt sizing today.

I'm getting itching to REALLY check the bed out....I hope the wear is truly as minor as it appears.

Dave

The belt size will be 52.5"...actual measurement at middle of adjustment was 52.25.

I am going to go with the serpentine belt, 1" wide.
I have two choices....I can splice and or glue a belt together or I can disassemble the HS and the countershaft and install it as one piece. I am going to go with the 1 piece so once I'm done with the inspection of the bed, I'll tear it all apart and install the belt.

I was thinking as I was contemplating this, wouldn't it be nice to have a row of index holes in the bull gear like my old Atlas had! It had an index pin and a row of 60 holes. As I'm going to use this lathe with my existing tooling, ie AXA QCTP and all the attachments I have already made for it, It would be really nice to have

Now how many holes?
60 is the general number on Watchmakers lathes. Besides doing basic division for wrench flats and hexes for bolt heads, 60 gives enough divisions so that when making cutter, it's easy to put say 6 degrees of rake on the back of the cutting edge just by going 1 hole, and file the relief using the filing rest.

2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30, and 60.

Southbend did this as an option
SBindexholes.gif

as taken from the www.lathes.co.uk site

Since the bull gear will be off, I'll set it up and put the holes in. I think I'll use 3/32" holes put in while the gear is mounted to a rotary table. I'll do it on the Van Norman....

The index pin will be fixed and attached to a spring arm, mounted to a block that clamps on the front bed way.

This block will do double duty as a dial indicator saddle stop block also.

One thing to keep in mind is that the gear guard and the back gear pin are very close....so I'll have to sort that part out as I go. For the light work I have in mind, I think it will be fine.....no 25 HP cuts with this set up though! :big:

BUT NOT THIS WEEK!

;D

Dave

If you could find space for two rows of holes, a 60 hole row for the divisions you mention, and a 72 hole row for angular divisions.

Holt

Latest posts

Back