Oscillating Steam Engine #2

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgewrench

Reaction score
This is the second engine that I have made. It has a 3/8" bore and 1/2" stroke. I just winged it with metal I had on hand. I was trying to come up with a cheap and easy one that I could give away to friends. I realize now that I am not skilled enough to wing it. I learned a lot from this one, such as it needed a lot more support for the crankshaft. I think it would have been better to offset bore the cylinder to allow a little more room for the crank disc. I would also have made the crank pin longer to compensate for the tilt of the cylinder and rod at high speeds and pressure. It wants to come off the pin if you really push it to the limit. I like the appearance, but I think I can improve on that as well with a good bench polisher. I am not dedicated enough to do it by hand. I also learned that the smaller strokes and bores take a lot more air pressure. This one likes 35-40 p.s.i. and sounds a little like a small Briggs and Stratton engine at that pressure.
Thanks for looking, I hope you like it.

img-2995.jpg

img-2994.jpg

img-2993.jpg

img-2999.jpg

Latest posts

Back