Organophillic Clay

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyrobrewer

Pyrobrewer
Reaction score
I am looking for a supplier of organophillic clay (such as bentone34) in Australia.
I am looking for an actual specific business that is a known supplier as I have traced many leads and suggestions that have led to disappointment.

Cheers
Mick

I would try contacting the local well drilling company bentonite is used in water well drilling.
Tin

pyrobrewer:

Check Ceramic Suppliers/raw material section. Bentonite is a common ingredient for mixing glazes, and formulating/modifying different clay bodies.

Good luck.

Frank

Bentone and Bentonite are not the same clay, Bentone is made from bentonite by treating it with an organic-wetting agent to make it suitable for use in oil bound casting sands.

Here's a link with more info. http://www.foundry.ray-vin.com/k-bond/k-bond.htm

To the OP, I have looked for this material as well, no luck so far.

Regards.

Steve.

I would try contacting the local well drilling company bentonite is used in water well drilling.
Tin

I would need to contact an oil well driller for organophillic clay (which is bentonite that has been surface treated to make it adsorb oil instead of water) and I will next Wednesday when I get back to work.

I work in an oil and gas field straddling the Queensland / South Australia boarder FIFO 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. I would have liked to do a few castings before going back to the desert for a fortnight. Also carrying bags of powder on an aircraft raises suspicions with the feds! Not to mention I have a 12kg limit on baggage.

sorry for the misunderstanding I was thinking bentonite.

I was able to source Bentone in Canada from a drilling chemical supplier. You may also be able to source petrobond mixed or the powder itself from a foundry supplier. Other than a little bit of testing I never really got it to work. You definetly need a muller. If you don't have one then regular bentonite is a better choice.

I read in an old foundry book that glycerine could be used with regular bentonite. I never gave that one a try as I'm always suspicious of what sort of chemical is produced when hot metal hits it.

As luck would have it I spent the last 2 weeks supporting a water drilling rig! They mixed up tonnes of bentonite in the mud tank but still no prize for me!

IMG_3071.jpg

As noted Bentonite is easily available so perhaps what you should be looking for is the wetting agent used in Bentone34? Just a though, it could also be a commonly available.

Thinking about this some more, some cat litter is virtually all Bentonite but it absorbs cat waste readily so perhaps it has a wetting agent in it? Don't laugh until you've tried it, it just might work. I used it once to make some refractory (mixed with some other stuff) and it worked fine!

Last edited:
As noted Bentonite is easily available so perhaps what you should be looking for is the wetting agent used in Bentone34? Just a though, it could also be a commonly available.

Thinking about this some more, some cat litter is virtually all Bentonite but it absorbs cat waste readily so perhaps it has a wetting agent in it? Don't laugh until you've tried it, it just might work. I used it once to make some refractory (mixed with some other stuff) and it worked fine!

As you say Bentonite is easily available to me, so no need to muck about with cat litter, which still wouldn't give me an Organophillic clay.

The "wetting agent" is Benzalkonium Chloride a very common chemical used in solution as a biocide, another is Dihydrogenated tallow dimethyl ammonium chloride However getting it, as I have found, in its pure powdered form, is at least as hard as finding Organophillic clay!

Canfield & Joseph in Kansas City used to sell petrobond clay for abot $50 per 50 lb bag. That would be enough for about 400 to 500 lbs of mixed sand. I shudder to think what the shipping costs would be tho. Budget casting used to sell small packages of the caly but they appear unwilling to ship outside of the US.

Bentone is also used in water treatment, I assume it is used to filter out hydrocarbons. IIRC a trade name was mentioned on the Yahoo hobbycasting group some years ago. Like everything else it's probably easiest to source if you know all it's different names.

You best chance might be to contact some foundries and see if they will sell you some mixed sand.

I have purchased bennite from a local Farm / Feed Store, not sure why they had it but it must have some use for farm animals. Mike

Canfield & Joseph in Kansas City used to sell petrobond clay for abot $50 per 50 lb bag. That would be enough for about 400 to 500 lbs of mixed sand. I shudder to think what the shipping costs would be tho. Budget casting used to sell small packages of the caly but they appear unwilling to ship outside of the US.

Bentone is also used in water treatment, I assume it is used to filter out hydrocarbons. IIRC a trade name was mentioned on the Yahoo hobbycasting group some years ago. Like everything else it's probably easiest to source if you know all it's different names.

You best chance might be to contact some foundries and see if they will sell you some mixed sand.

Thanks for the info - Im sure someone in the US will find it useful. However if you read the original post in this tread, Australia is an island continent south of the equator on the other side of the world.:wall::)

I have at last found a supplier of an organophillic clay in Brisbane, Queensland ( for the north americans this is in Australia) I have been quoted $19.95 per kilo for bentone
I was also offered Petrobond sand premixed for $5.50 per KG
I already have the sand, so 5kg of Bentone will make 100kg of mix for AU$100 plus oil and an alcohol.
100kg of Petrobond would set me back AU$550 plus freight or pick up 7 hour round trip.
PM me if anyone would like contact details

Thanks for the info - Im sure someone in the US will find it useful. However if you read the original post in this tread, Australia is an island continent south of the equator on the other side of the world.:wall::)

Yes I knew you were in Oz, that's why I made the comment about shipping. How are you planning on mulling your sand?

How are you planning on mulling your sand?

I am going to build a muller! I have an electric cement mixer that I can use for the power supply and build a revolving tub with plows and roller

Stop the press!!!

I have found a supplier of BENTONE 34 in Brisbane which is a little cheaper than the previous contact and is Genuine Bentone 34.
I pick up 3/12/13 Catch is must buy in 25kg lots. I have ordered a bag. Anyone in for shares PM Me? Order can be increased if needed

Back