Opposed Twin I.C.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hallo Brian,

I am very sorry for my very belated reply on yours about my Boll 8,2 cc model glow engine.You wrote about the fact that your engine was ready just a couple of weeks.
I have read and looked after the photos from your multi cilinder model engine and i must say Brian that the real Craftmanship you are well Skilled person i also saw that earlier when i made the thread on about one of my other homemade engines.
Congratulations with these perfect results your engine looks great you may be very proud of it.

many greetings from modelmotor-Gerard-The Neherlands-Europe.

All my compliments for you Brian!!!

I am reviving this old thread because I recently had a gentleman from USA want to purchase a set of plans for it. This involved opening about 70 Solidworks CAD drawings and saving them as .pdf files so they can be opened and printed without any specialized software. If anyone is interested in purchasing a set of these plans, I sell the complete set for $25 Canadian funds. Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested in purchasing a set of the plans.--Brian Rupnow

I woke up this morning, thinking about an opposed twin i.c. engine. something along the layout of Jason's flat twin Boxter, only a bit cruder perhaps, with an open crankcase and exposed camshafts and crankshaft. I really like the knife and fork style con rod layout, and the fact that it lets the opposed cylinders set in line with each other. I haven't really sorted this through in my head yet, but this would probably mean two camshafts, one above the crank to run the right hand cylinder and one below the crank to run the left hand cylinder.-----Or perhaps both camshafts above the crankshaft, offset to each side. A single centrally located carburetor with long intake runners to each side---maybe. I have to think on this a while.---It feels interesting----Brian

Have a look at my book 'Designing and Building a miniature Aero Engine' (Crowood Press). There are pages to look at and an E version if you want a better look. These are air cooled, open rockers with push rods working from a cam cluster for each cylinder. I use three currently to fly my model aircraft.

Last edited:
Hello Brian, Sorry if I am jumping in here but you were unsure if Glow engines were only 2 strokes in a very early date in this old thread. Well I am about half way through a10.5cc Vee 8 four stroke manufacture of a glow powered model aircraft engine. This engine was designed and built around 1995 in the UK. If you look up 'Whittle Vee 8' on you tube you can see one running.I hope this info may be of use to you for future projects.By the way I reside in the east of Scotland UK

Latest posts

Back