Opposed 4 Cylinder Air Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the next installment. This document includes the crankshaft assembly. This uploaded document contains all the pages so far, 1 - 7.

Chuck

Yet another update. Here I've included the drawings for the valve block. Next I'll include the valve tube and the air connection block that attaches to the rear end of the valve block.

Chuck

I've now added the valve tube and air supply block. Things are getting a little complicated now. Please let me know if you seen any errors or something that is confusing.

Thx...
Chuck

Chuck, wonderful job on the engine, I could listen to run all day ;D . And a Big Thank You for the plans that the uneducated can follow.

LockNut

Great plans Chuck, the only thing I see that you might of left out, is maybe the holes in the valve block for the air supply tube & block that attaches to the back end of the valve block with 2, 2-56 socket head cap screws. But is obvious they need to be there so maybe it's not that important.
Waiting for the gears plans so I can make a gear cutter to make them. I love this little engine.
Mel

Thanks, all, for the positive comments. Mel, I may get the gear drawings done later today. In the meantime, the gears are 24 DP, the smaller gear is 15 teeth and the larger gear is 30 teeth. You could also do 32 DP gears, the small one would be 20 teeth and the larger one would 40 teeth.

Chuck

It's a great engine Chuck! Thanks for sharing the plans.

I've updated the plans to include the timing gears. I'm including the most recent drawing in both the first post of this thread and the most current. All others will be deleted.

Thx...
Chuck

Thanks, all. I'm working on the drawings for the air supply manifold and tubes.

Chuck

Are these gears the same as the Liney engine? They sell gear sets, for those not wanting to make their own.

rleete said:
Are these gears the same as the Liney engine? They sell gear sets, for those not wanting to make their own.

Sorry, I don't know what size gears the liney uses. I would be really surpised if the Liney gears will work since my engine is 30% larger than the Liney engine.

Here are an updated set of drawings. These include the diagrams for the air supply manifolds. They were inserted as page 10, pushing the timing gears out to page 11. I'm going to be surprised if I don't get some questions about these...

Chuck

KustomKB said:
Thanks for the latest installment Chuck!

I've been having fun playing with your design in the computer as can be seen in the PDF below.

Looks good. What software are you using?

Chuck

Chuck
Thanks for posting these drawings certainly an project to be considered. Beautiful work :bow:
Ernie J

Looks good. What software are you using?

Thanks Chuck, I have Solidworks at work. I tried moving a few things around just for the extra practice. If you click on the image in the PDF and drag, it can be viewed in 3-D. Drawing something in the computer is one thing but coming up with the design is entirely another. I showed your design and helical gear cutting to my buddy at work and he said "wow, that guys pretty smart eh?" I agreed.

Cheers

KustomKB said:
Thanks Chuck, I have Solidworks at work. I tried moving a few things around just for the extra practice. If you click on the image in the PDF and drag, it can be viewed in 3-D. Drawing something in the computer is one thing but coming up with the design is entirely another. I showed your design and helical gear cutting to my buddy at work and he said "wow, that guys pretty smart eh?" I agreed.

Cheers

Thanks for the kind words. Not sure how smart I am, but sometimes I get a desire to make something and I just can't let it go until I figure it out. Then, once I figure it out and make it, I often lose interest. For example, I haven't made another helical gear since I made the fixture and the original set of gears. On the other hand, if I need any helical gears, now know how to do it! :)

Yet another installment. Here I've included the air supply tube drawings and added some more detail to the manifold drawing.

Chuck

Almost forgot the pistons and rods. I had put the engine back together already and had to disassemble it again to get the measurements. :-[

Anyway, this installment includes the rods and pistons.

Back