Opposed 4 Cylinder Air Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Since it is going to take me a while to completed these plans, I thought I would trickle out pages as they are completed to this thread. If anyone has any comments or suggestions for improvement, please let me know. This first page is just the general layout and the beginning of materials used for the crankcase and cylinders.

Chuck

Edit: This post and the most current post will have the most recent and complete plans attached as a PDF.

View attachment Visio-OpposedFourPlans.pdf

Hi Chuck
What a lovely christmas present to wake up to.
Im just going out to see if I can find any inch and a half SHS in the shed ;D
Have a wonderfull Christmas Day
Pete.

Hi Chuck.

I appreciate the amount of effort it takes to draw up a set of plans, and all I can say is thank you. :bow:

And Merry Christmas!

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks all. I warn you ahead of time that I'm not a draftsman and don't know much about standards of drawing. I may hit some rough spots trying to document how to build this thing. :-[

Here's the first real drawing page. It's the crankcase and may be the first rough spot. By the way, note that the earlier page I posted indicates a 3/16" front to back offset between the left and right cylinder banks. It's actually .200 because I had to leave some clearance between the connecting rods and the crankshaft webs.

Chuck

Chuck,

I love plans like this, and no offence meant, one step up from my C-o-C's. WYSIWYG, what you see is what you get, no rooting about for information.

But please, no bright colours for different parts, I have great difficulty finding the metal in the right colours to match :big:

Keep it up.

John

Thank you Chuck, much appreciated. Seasons greetings!
Thm:

Thanks, all, for the comments. As far as the free plans go, I'm more interested in a contributing knowledge to the community and perhaps leaving some kind of legacy than earning any income from it.

Here are the cylinder drawings. They seem awfully "busy" but it's the only way I know to present all the information I think people need.

I'm also including a reissue of the first page to include the crankshaft and connecting rods in the General Layout.

Chuck

Chuck,

Thank you for your efforts towards helping all of us improve our knowledge and skills with your drawings and presentation of your engine. I would like to build your engine someday and I will save your plans for the future. I'm a serious airplane nut and your engine is a fine example in both looks and sounds.
Thanks again...Merry Christmas

Jeff

Bogstandard said:
Chuck,

I love plans like this, and no offence meant, one step up from my C-o-C's. WYSIWYG, what you see is what you get, no rooting about for information.

But please, no bright colours for different parts, I have great difficulty finding the metal in the right colours to match :big:

Keep it up.

John

So, John, you don't like my brass colored brass parts? :big:

Chuck,

The ones I have trouble with is bright blue brass and red steel, pink and purple in anything is classed as unobtainium.

My metal stockist just doesn't carry it. :big:

But other than that, your plans are always good, and easy to follow.

John

Here are the drawings for the end plates that get silver soldered onto the ends of the crankcase.

Chuck

As an after thought, I believe the crankcase could be made from a solid piece of 1.5" square aluminum. This would be done by boring a 1 5/16" hole longways to accommodate the crankshaft. Then, the crankshaft bearing carriers would be made larger, 1 3/8" square to cover the hole. The cylinder holes and the rectangular access hole in the bottom would be bored last. I can make up drawings for this alternative if anyone is interested.

Chuck

You're welcome, Steve! Here's the next installment. I've recreated the PDF file to include pages 1 - 6. This supercedes all previous pages. The last two pages are the front and rear bearing blocks.

Chuck

cfellows said:
As an after thought, I believe the crankcase could be made from a solid piece of 1.5" square aluminum ... I can make up drawings for this alternative if anyone is interested.

I'd like to echo my thanks for your clear and well set out plans, Chuck.

Not having any kind of engineering or drafting background I have struggled with basic published plans. Yours are pitched perfectly for the novice like me.

I would be grateful if you get the opportunity to draw your aluminium crankcase alternative.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

It's a great engine Chuck - thanks for posting the plans.

Back