Opinions On Lathe Options

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this thread belonged in this section or in the tool section, so if this is in the incorrect location, I apologize.

Hello, I have a couple of lathe deals I have been presented with, and was wanting some opinions from people that have more knowledge on these lathes than I do. The couple of deals I have available at the moment are:

• A Cummins 7x12 Mini Lathe, still has packing grease on it as it was just recently removed from the box, (says it comes with many attachments still in their boxes, wasn't told any specifics on what is in said boxes) for $350
  • A Sears/Craftsman Model 101 that comes with a fair amount of tooling for $850
  • A New-In-Box Micromark 7x16 for $800

My (current) budget is about $900, but if I find the parts I need for my truck at the scrapyard instead of ordering them, my budget will jump to about $2000, in which case I will be looking at both a lathe and mill. Since I doubt that my local scrapyard has the heads and camshaft I need, I will be going with the budget of $900. My main reasoning for getting a new lathe is so I can keep my large machines set up for my personal projects and not need to go between major repair projects and my personal projects (Plus it eliminates me from walking to and from the machine shop when it is blazing hot/freezing cold outside).

The main two I was thinking about was the Cummins 7x12 (It is a fairly reasonable price, in my opinion) or the Craftsman 101 since it comes with tooling and it is the largest of the three. Any insight on which of these machines is the better deal is appreciated.

-Charlie.

(I have a couple of pictures that I was given of the Cummins and Craftsman lathes, so if it is requested I can try to get them uploaded)

I haven't had time to search these machines, but personally I'd go for an older lathe with better quality castings, machining, and design, before a newer machine. It may need some refurbishment, but you'll reap the benefits...

Hi Charlie,

For what it is worth, I am in the same position as you... deciding on a new lathe purchase and have many options.

Everyone seems to concur that you should buy the biggest lathe you can afford... so that is what I am doing myself.... so a minimum 10" x 22" lathe for me.

Given your choice I'd go with the Craftsman 101 which I believe is similar to or the same as the Atlas 6" x 18" ... 3.5" center height. Assuming it is in good condition.

I haven't had time to search these machines, but personally I'd go for an older lathe with better quality castings, machining, and design, before a newer machine. It may need some refurbishment, but you'll reap the benefits...

I am thinking of going with the 101 due to the fact that it most likely has the better quality of castings with it.

Hi Charlie,

For what it is worth, I am in the same position as you... deciding on a new lathe purchase and have many options.

Everyone seems to concur that you should buy the biggest lathe you can afford... so that is what I am doing myself.... so a minimum 10" x 22" lathe for me.

Given your choice I'd go with the Craftsman 101 which I believe is similar to or the same as the Atlas 6" x 18" ... 3.5" center height. Assuming it is in good condition.

I was told that it is about 24" between centers on it (Bed length being 30") which is making me lean towards getting that option even more. (It would be nice to afford two 9" SouthBend lathes for about $3800, but I don't have the funds for them at the moment...) I think that the Craftsman 101 is in good condition given it's age. I attached a picture that I have of the 101 to help show some of the items that it comes with.

-Charlie

$(KGrHqF,!jcFC3rBNy3PBQ-TyMrhw!~~60_3.JPG

I have recently bought the micromark 7 x 16 (sieg) and cant fault it for its size
however that craftsman does look nice for the same price
I am very impressed with the sieg variable speed drive,being able to adjust the speed
while taking a cut is a big bonus Bazmak

Well, after focusing solely on the parts for my truck lately, I was able to get a good deal and I now have a budget of anywhere from 1600 to 1900 for machine and tooling. If I could, I would like to get both a small mill and lathe. I was looking at getting a mill from the LittleMachineShop and the MicroMark lathe; or go for a grizzly 10x22 lathe with a milling attachment and getting a base for the milling attachment. I'm not sure if this is the best option to do for a small shop to setup inside or not, so I figured I would post my current situation and see what is said. (I am not set on what lathe/mill setup I am wanting to go with, so if you have a suggestion, don't be afraid to post it!)

-Charlie

A tough call : I started with a 7x10 they are OK machines but the 10" z does get tight fast. Harbor Freight also has coupons on there 7x10 for the same price.

IMHO that is a high price for the 101 it is a better machine than the 109. A buddy of mine got a similar machine to that for less than half the money. maybe a little less tooling and no docs. seems like the old sears stuff is bringing a premium on e bay.

The 7x 16s from LMS and micro mark have a very good reputation the 500 watt motor gives good power and the variable speed on the fly is a nice feature.
Good deals on used equipment do pop up often after you sent tool money on something else or at the auction you did not attend.

One expense often forgotten is shipping . You can save shipping costs. here are options. the LMS and micro mark tools are very much alike made in the same factory virtually the same improved features.

the MM show room is about 350 miles from you so cheaper shipping. Or if you drive to cabin fever in York PA 231 miles LMS can bring your machines to the show and the shipping cost is IIRC free. But you must pre order. and your machines may be used for display.
And there can be deals to be had at the show especially if you attend the auction.

Tin

I contacted the owners of the 101 and the 7x12; both of which sold...

Picking the machines up is an option I hadn't thought of. I am leaning forwards a 7x16 and mill combo if I were to get both. I did find a Atlas F-Series lathe (10") and a Southbend 9", both asking 500 for them. The Southbend is a Made in USA model, which is very tempting. Upon discovering these deals, I am strongly considering the Southbend. Both lathes are within 2 hours of me, allowing me to go look at them and see which would be a good deal. If I was able to get one of these lathes that would leave me plenty of money for tooling and a mill.

Suddenly it seems my options have narrowed down a bit.

-Charlie

If you have the room and the money then a mill and a lathe are the best option
too much setting up time with a combo BAZMAK

If you have the room and the money then a mill and a lathe are the best option
too much setting up time with a combo BAZMAK

X 2, I have recently traded out an older 3 in 1 for a new 13x24 lathe and a Seig SX3 mill. It is amazing how much easier everything has become. I think all up, I have spent close to $5k down under.

I have only had them two weeks. In all respects, every job I attempt is made easier, quicker and the finish so much better. Today I faced some plastic parts which the first side was faced on my old lathe. The difference between faces is embarrassing!

Unless totaly worn out the sb 9 or 10 atlas shoud be a good deal.
loo and evaluate and take tooling into acount. but as long as the bed and head are in godd shap yoand most of the parts you should be fine.
Tin

I took a look at the Southbend on Friday and it was in good condition. I called the owner this morning to see if be could hold it for me, ony to find out someone picked it up on Saturday. The Atlas was in o.k. condition, but it would take some searching of parts to get it back to it's former glory.

After some debating, I have thought the best way to get a good size lathe and a mill would be to go with the G0516 and put the mill attachment on the Mini Mill Large Table Assembly from LittleMachineShop.com in order to have seepage machines. By going the G0516 route I save about $150-$200 (Inludes tooling package for both mill and lathe). Given that difference, is it worth it to go the combo route or should I just buy a 10x22 lathe and a mini mill?

-Charlie

Charlie, I would recommend the 10x22 without a doubt, particularly if it's a Grizzly G0602. A lot of fellows in the US have that machine and by all accounts they are an excellent lathe. The 10x22 will offer you more room to move, which can be important particularly when working on larger projects. It will also offer a lot more rigidity over some of the smaller lathes. Rigidity is very important when it comes to fit and finish of your parts.

If you have any questions regarding the Grizzly G0602 there is a Yahoo group just for them. A lot of knowledgeable folks frequent the forum so you should get answers quickly to your questions. For milling you can always use a vertical milling attachment, not as good as a mill, but it will get the job done while you are saving for a decent sized mill, Sieg SX3 or bigger ;)

Latest posts

Back