Opinions on changing my x-2 quill from morse taper to R-8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bretk

Reaction score
I am looking for your input on another question, that of changin my x-2 quill from morse taper to R-8. It seems that the morse taper quill has a hard time releasing collets especially with heavy endmill use, and I have to whack pretty hard on the bolt to knock them loose. (that can't be good for the mill) does the R-8 system release easier? ???

Thanks, Bret

Yup, definitely releases easier plus tiooling is plentiful & less expensive. One of those rare win-win situations.

I really love the ease of release with the R-8 setup that came on the SX3. If I'd known the difference, I too might have made the swap on my X2. No more pounding the drawbar to get it to free up.

Steve

Why not make a self extracting drawbar ?
As you unwind it it pushes the collet out, I have one on my KX1 CNC mill and it just a simple job to swap tooling.

Not having an X2 or access to one I don't know the details whether an R8 can be fitted but because it's larger you may have to make a longer spindle to get the bulky bit clear of the bottom bearings.
In that case you will lose daylight and maybe a bit of rigidity.

My X2 (bought at Harrogate this year) came fitted with an R8 taper quill, it's a doddle to release the tooling, just a fairly firm tap on the drawbar with a plastic headed hammer ;D

Dave

It's easy to replace the MT-3 spindle with an R8 spindle.

LMC lists them, but they are currently out of stock.
Spindle, R8

Perhaps an email to them would be in order.

Rick

Rick,

Thought about that, also found that I can replace the whole spindle box with an r-8 one for 99 and they have those in stock, so was thinking of going that way.

-Bret

Bret, the way it works is this; there is an angle that is derived from the cooefficient of friction between the two materials whereby tapers greater than that angle are self releasing and less than are not. Morse is less than that angle and are locking, tooling like a nt30 or 40 are not. my understanding is the R8 is intended to be on the cusp and gives a little of both properties, not self releasing, not fully locked either.

I'd look into Johns idea before replacing spindles just for ease but...if I had the choice I'd tend to shy away from spindle with a locking taper as it is certainly no good for the bearings to be wacking away at the drawbar with a mallet....bearings are much easier to damage with they're stationary.

John I really like your idea for a self extracting drawbar, I'm not sure just what it looks like, but I'm going to try to come with something. Thanks for the great idea.
Mel

Latest posts

Back