On becoming a Lathe mechanic

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedyb

Reaction score
I know it is a must do... ;)
the new Micromark 7x16's carriage is one tight fit. Frankly I am sceered of those gib screws, although I am getting a little experience, while messign with fixing the Sears 101 I got.

But its the accuracy of the adjustments that worry me. no skills there.

must get the carriage smoother I am sure, seems hard enough (and jerky by handwheel) to load the leadscrew and motor. (have not tried yet)

Did you have a question here that you wanted to ask us? About the gibs, maybe?
If so, ask away!

The gibs should be adjusted so they are snug, but not so tight that they bind the motion of the slide.

Loosen all of the adjuster up and check to see that the carriage moves freely.
If it doesn't there may be a problem with the dovetails.

If it does move freely, turn all of the gib adjusters in finger tight then check for any slop by holding the
front and rear of the carriage and trying to rock it back and forth.
If you can feel any free play, give all of the adjusters another 1/4 turn and check it again.

It will probably take more than one attempt to get it right.
It has to be very snug but not tight.

Rick

well if you are going to be a home machinist you need to learn how to adjust a lathe. Now would be a good time . these upgrade screws will likely make life easier.
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2634&category=
another option is installing wedge gibs. a few guys here have done the mod. But that requires some machinig
Do not worry about the accuracy of the gib adjustments just go by feel. the hand wheel s should should move the saddle and cross slide freely without binding . If the parts bind the gibs are too tight if there is any noticeable slop or side movement they are too lose you may have to experiment to find the sweet spot .
Also before you concern yourself with adjustment make sure you clean off the red Chinese fish slime and iol the ways with a good way lube .I use Mobile Vactra No 2 but here are others as well.
Tin

All is well now.
took my time.
I pulled of the Apron to make life easier, and started with the front/dovetail adjustments.
After it seemed ok, did the back side.
My method might be different of course.

I started by adjusting the 2 gib/lock screws. slide the carriage on, and then adjust the center screw only.
I did this until the center screw could be tightened well, and there was no discernable play in the carriage.
Then I adjusted the side screws each a little at a time. Trying to do equal amounts until they would lock the carriage. then just a hair back.
And all of this such that the 2 side screws were pretty snug too. then used a dab of cement glue to help against vibration.

It is a good feeling to accomplish this :)

....like lots of things that are new

Go slow....and think about what your doing.......It always gets easier that way......

Dave

...oh and ask questions! ;D

It is worth mentioning:

I have shimmed the Apron to Carriage fit.
Evidently the fit into the lathe gear rack is too tight.
currently shimmed .008" I think it could use another .001 or .002
was/am a bit concerend about how it can affect the half-nuts, but so far it seems ok.

When i received my mini lathe , the first thing i did was tuned the ways and gibs using the method Mike Taglieri describes in the
www.minilathe.com site .
I totally removed the carraige,compound and apron and lapped the ways as described and the shimmed the gibs so i could tighten them down tight as close to zero clearance as possible and still maintain free movement. Its a dirty job but well worth it. I have been using my lathe for over 4 years without additional adjustments.

Richard

thanks Richard.
Was working a bit more on the Apron issue. I can see that the main gear to the rack gets loaded and cocks slightly, when the Apron is fully tightened.
I wonder if some sort of mod would be good, maybe a hold down of sorts. I have some teflon about 1/8 or 3/16 thick.

That same mini lathe website has a section on apron mods that will be an additional advantage concerning align alignment and keeping the chips out of the gear rack . As far as the mini lathe is concerned this site is an exceptional service manual on improvements and mod that is hard to improve on Richard

Latest posts

Back