Novice machinist in Easton PA

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

My name is Andrew but my friends call me Mister. I have always been interested machines and machinery. Not strongly enough to actually do anything about learning how to use them or getting my own mill or lathe. I finally have some space for some machines, almost enough money to buy some, and most importantly the time to use them. I have been reading about them a little bit about how to use a lathe. Can anyone in eastern PA recommend a good class to take or need a shop rat a few hours a week in exchange for letting me watch the operation of the machines and andwering an inordinate amount of questions? There is only so much I can learn on my own from books an the interwebs. I have and have used simple machines like a drill press and grinding machines. I have also used a brake lathe about 20 years ago when I was in high school. Also I have been looking at several lathes and am thinking that I should start of small in case I don't enjoy the hobby. I was thinking about getting the 7x12 mini lathe from Little Machine Shop. It's on clearance for $500 plus $145 for shipping. I am thinking that I will need to upgrade for sure if I decide to stick with it. Can anyone tell me if I will be happy with this lathe or is it basically a waste of money? I have been looking at used lathes and new lathes in the under $2500 categories. Mostly the $1500 range is feasible if I save just a little more. And the more expensive would require saving until fall or longer. Some other lathes I was thinking about were a Grizzly 9x19 bench lathe, 10x22 bench top or 10x22 variable speed. My interests in use for the lathe include model steam engines and miniature cannons. I'm sure there will be more things I want to turn. I am also sure there are other lathes but I think I've rambled on enough for now. Also I think I would get more use out a mill and was thinking about getting a mill first. But I read alot that made me think I should get a lathe first. My interests in the mill include steam engines and some gun smithing as well as precision parts for me to play with. And put together. I am have a fairly strong understanding of mechanics and could (with a headache or three) build an engine from scratch with nothing but a diagram and parts. I applaude anyone who actually made it to the end of this and I will try to keep future posts shorter and limited to one topic. Nice to meet you all. I think I will enjoy it here.

Welcome Mister. Your location is about 50 - 60 miles from Rough & Tumble in Kinzers, PA. There's a model engineering group that hangs out there. We have a big 4 day show August 14 -17. You can get lots of help/advice from our group.

As far as machinery goes my advice is to get the largest lathe or mill that will sit on a bench that you can afford and get into your shop. I learned how to use a lathe with a Grizzly 9x20 and upgraded to a 10x22. The difference in price is small considering the difference in capability and construction.

I started out in the hobby with a minimill then bought the lathe. If I could only have one machine I'd get the lathe first. Some folks do amazing stuff with just a lathe. The lathe and mill are like so many tools..they complement one another so I'd recommend you consider both in your budget if possible. Tooling will likely add up to the cost of both machines eventually but at least you can get started for a few hundred $'s.
Cheers,
Phil

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. there are lots of pdf files to read and vidios to watch . I am a bit further south in New jersey .

Any of the lathes you mentioned will work. the more you spend the more rigid ,capable and powerful.

The upside of the 7 x they are affordable the downside is they come with little tooling.
the bigger ones come with things like face plates 4 jaw chucks, steady rests and follow rest. also quick change threading box.

Guess you need to figure out what price point you are comfortable with.
Tin

Thanks everybody. Phil I think I've heard of Rough and Tumble. Not machine related tho. Kinda vaguely think it like a huge all you can eat buffet? I've never been there myself, I'm not sure if its the same place. I was thinking along similar lines as you regarding lathe size. Basically I am really worried that if I get the mini lathe it's going to be like a toy? Or even not adequate for some if the projects i might want to try. think I am going to have to seriously consider one of the larger models. That and the shipping. I have a far easier time when the shipping is 10% of the cost vs when the shipping is 25% of the cost even though the actual cost of shipping is the same. OCD. Tooling is going to be a factor also as Tin also mentioned. The room for expansion just seems more available with a larger lathe. Thanks again everybody. A verticle mill is definitely not too far around the corner either.

I started with a 7x lathe and still have it. It was what I could afford at the time and it met my needs to get started. I made something over 100 pen and pencil set on it as well as a couple of steam engines.

You are only a 2 1/2 hour drive to the grizzly showroom in williamsport.
Grizzly is one of the better importers of these tools.
yThe show room is huge and you can see touch and feel before you buy. and If you have a pickup or a trailer you save the shipping cost.

I have a far easier time when the shipping is 10% of the cost vs when the shipping is 25% of the cost even though the actual cost of shipping is the same.

If you choose to look and purchase later Shipping is $99 for the 9x20 and the 10 x 22.

I did a price comparison a while back . I took the price of a 7x added all the tooling that comes standard with the 9 x 20 and then compared the price of the two. it was surprisingly close.

also the 4 jaw that comes on the 9x is a European style almost a face plate with jaws the one on the 10 is a real 4 jaw.

I posted a thread on lathe selection it is at the top of the tool sub fora. you may want to read it.

Welcome Mister, you have come to the right place for advice and assistance.

Jim

Mister,
You may be thinking of the Shady Maple Smorsgaborg (sp?) for the all you can eat.

Rough & Tumble is all about agricultural machinery, engines (gas, steam, diesel) and model engineering. Check it out:

http://www.roughandtumble.org/

Cheers,
Phil

Tin. Thanks. That is some good intel. I will definitely check out that thread. It also makes me want to get one of the larger lathes but also makes me think I would be happy with the 7x12 for a while at least. I will probably plan a trip to Williamsport in the near future at least to look around.
Jim. Good to meet you. I'm sure I'll be needing plenty of both.
Phil. I was going to put in my post that I thought it was might have been like Shady Maple. Haven been there in years. Great place to go and gain twenty or thirty pounds in one morning. From what little of the web site i had a chance to look at, Rough and Tumble seems like my version of utopia.

IMHO the 10 x 22 is a pretty capable lathe and a good bang for the buck. But at almost 3x the cash can be scary for the newbie.
Tin

Latest posts

Back