Not so easy EZ engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fred and Jack, thanks for the tips and encouragement. Glad to know that I'm not the only one who is/was having a couple of hic-cups.

I'll try all methods, the tip by Dean on the tip being a little low rang true to what I was experiencing, but when I checked the height it seemed OK, I gave the tool holder a slight swirl to raise it a fraction and that also helped thus far.

Will finish reading the paper then give it a go.

Thanks, please post some photos of your engines from what I gather there are a few interested parties in this project.

Cheers

KenM

??? I'm not sure if it's me or the drawings????

In the instructions on the flywheel it clearly states"Drill the center of the flywheel with a 15/32nds drill and follow it with a .025 inch reamer." Now if my maths are correct 15/32" is a lot larger than what a .025 inch reamer is going to handle. To further complicate matters we are told to drill another hole .250" from the center point of the flywheel, this of course means that I am trying to drill a hole on the edge of the 15/32nd inch hole.

The actual drawings are of no help - no measurements and not to scale.

Now for the good news. ;D

Managed to machine the valve. :big:

In the meantime, I now have to solve the problem of filling in a 15/32" hole in the center of the flywheel.

Cheers

KenM

It's not you. Just went and read the instruction page and you are correct. You should drill about 1/32" under the reamer. So for .025" (8/32) you would want a 7/32" drill. It is always interesting to find an error like this after about 6 to 8 builds. Makes me wonder #1 if anybody else even read it or #2 they just didn't bother to mention it. Anyway a karma point for you for finding AND reporting an error.

Good to hear you got the valve done. Thm:

As for the valve. There may be several solutions but here is one that was done just for the looks. Pick a different material than the flywheel is made of. Bore out the center of the flywheel to about 1" then make a 1" insert out of the other material. Go for a snug fit and epoxy or loctite it into place. Face both sides and you will have a nice looking flywheel and you can re-drill the center. I will go try to find the post this was in.

Still going and loving it. ;D

Had a good day at the office today, see photos.

After trying one idea on the first flywheel I decided to make another with a little more width which should give me more weight, hence more inertia. I think the brass flywheel would be superior, but cannot figure away to cut the small piece I have. ???

On having a good look at the design and what mistakes I was making I have modified the flywheel axle, decided on a .250" hole in the flywheel and a .375" axle, machined the whole thing out of brass after carefully measuring the distance needed to keep the flywheel crank and valve in line, this meant a nice step in the assembly. This is the best that I can explain it, the picture should make it clearer. ::)

Valve and piston seem to be OK, at long last. :big:

Thanks for all the helpful hints, I am learning a lot.

Thanks once again to the people who put this project together, I can appreciate the time taken to do this.

Sorry if I sounded #@%*&^ off. I was bloody annoyed with myself for picking up the error and then drilling the hole, a seniors moment!

Flywheels.JPG

Flywheels2.JPG

Flywheel2.JPG

Flywheels.JPG

Hey, it looks like you're almost done!
Keep it up.

Dean

The whole point of this is a learning experience. You make mistakes or don't do it as well as you would like, but you learn. With time and more projects it gets better and you learn to do more difficult and accurate work. You are doing a fine job with this and if you ask some of the old hands around here how many times they make a mistake that requires some rework you would find it fairly common. It can also be part of the fun.

BTW Dean; This is the first correction I have made to the instructions. You gave a good tip on reaming in one of the EZ engine builds and that is now part of the documentation. Just need to upload it. :bow:

Nice going!!! mine is coming along nicely as well, (will update my W.I.P. thread shortly,.......)

without wishing to go O.T.....as regards minor measurement 'hiccups' in the plans, in the metric version, the parts list shows the valve body as 40x20x20, but the plans show it as 45x20x20,... not too much difference, but hey, us newbies need as few hiccups as possible!!!
I compaired with the imperial drawings,.. this listed the valve body as 1.875 inches, which to me equates to 48mm, so that's what I made it!!!!!(any extra only seems to be at the back of the block, so makes no difference, I think?? ??? )

Thanks for the update,... yours is looking better than mine, you must have a top notch angle grinder!!! :big:

Cheers, Fred

Hi all,

Freddie, have a look at the photo on the previous page of the block in the vise, that's the standard I started out with. I had a quick lesson on how to use the 4 jaw chuck, during this operation I also learned about what I now call "carriage creep" when trying to face the block flat.

It was now a case of two more lessons to be learnt quickly. I work on the theory, both with myself and my students, "only a fool keeps on making the same mistakes" so I had to improve my use of the grinder and learn to adjust my facing technique.

Thankfully, both have improved.

As for making mistakes, once again on the first lesson with all my students I always give them this mini speech, "I don't care how many mistakes you make, this is the best way to learn. I won't let you get into any danger, just remember, the person who hasn't made a mistake hasn't made anything. The direction I come from teaching is to make you have fun, if I succeed in that you will enjoy driving (I am a Driving Instructor) if I don't, you will hate driving and never really be a good driver. Now let's go and have some fun."

During this new learning process for me I have used the above message to myself.

Simply having a ball, sometimes putting it on paper does not come across well.

Finished, the project today apart from the timing, had to make a couple of spacers to get the clearances right but it ticks over well as per the instructions with a flick of the finger. Will try and get back to it later in the week.

Upon a successful launch, I am champing at the bit for the next episode. This is very addictive.

Cheers

KenM

.... Nice one, Ken,.. well done!!! :bow: :bow:

Yes, I think the learning process is the be all & end all, I have loved doing things I would not normally do,... Just a few more steps for me, & we can look for something else to strech our meagre abilities!!! ;D

Cheers, have fun, Fred

Back