NorthernTool 4x6 bandsaw

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kermit

Here's where we left our intrepid metal working newbie last week....

4by6bandsaw_05.jpg

4by6bandsaw_06.jpg

I placed the order for the capacitor with McMaster on Monday. It arrived today. Tuesday! (Feeling a small bit of competition from MSC maybe?) :D

More pics to follow,
Kermit

Hi Kermit. If you don't mind me asking.

What caused the damage to the capacitor and its cover?

I'm glad to see that your have the electrical knowledge to repair it yourself, and solve the problem so quickly.

Your going to love that saw. It makes cutting quick, precise, and easy. I used a hack saw and wore out quite a few blades before I got mine. Those 4"x6"band saws are worth every penny!

-MB

I'm still using my second blade from Harbor Freight on mine. Everyone seems to recommend getting a good blade which is supposed to cut both faster and cleaner. I expect that my third blade will be one such.

The first blade broke. Probably because I was not relieving blade tension when it was not in use and that somehow stressed it.

I expected the tools you showed to include a small hammer and a wooden block to beat the dent back out. Was there enough clearance for the cap without doing that?

Alan

AlanHaisley said:
I expected the tools you showed to include a small hammer and a wooden block to beat the dent back out. Was there enough clearance for the cap without doing that?

It's hard to see but I put the dented end toward the other end of the motor. That way it is over the wires and not the capacitor. The paint job was cheap and no primer on the metal. Beating the dent out would mean leaving it bare metal and then having to spray paint.

'sgoodenuf',
Kermit

Re: the fast shipping from McMaster Carr, I have placed orders and received the item that same afternoon from them. Of course there is a shipping warehouse nearby but still. When I was working downtown we had an account with them and they would actually messenger the order to me, sometimes within hours of placing same. They are great to deal with as far as customer service as fr as I am concerned.

BC1

Back