No one else interested.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

Reaction score
Hi Guys

John Bogstandard said in another post I am lucky only having daughters. Apart from the possibility of funding two weddings and living with three bouts of pmt each month I am very lucky. At leave the dog is a boy so we understand each other!
The girls have no interest whatsoever in what I do or create. If something breaks either it's "Daddy fix it" or it miraculously becomes my property(temporarily until fixed) or it gets thrown out and replaced. My daughters are 18 and 21 and are fully fledged members of the 'Throw-away' society we now have. My only hope is that when eventually they settle down with a man he may be interested in what I do. At the moment the boyfriends are also 'throw-away'. Usually by text!

I am sure when I am gone they will find someone else to fix things. If not they will continue throwing away and restocking. I suppose when I go all my machines will be sold to fund this activity as will any models I have build. Just think a 2" scale steam engine could be instantly recycled into a mobile phone or a night at a club. Sad isn't it. Where will your models and 'works of art' go when you depart? Hopefully you have someone who will continue to appreciate them and care for them.

Julian.

Hi Julian,
You misunderstood me, you came over as a 'male chauvenistic pig' as they say, because of the comment about only having daughters, as though they were not worth teaching.
To get back to now, please accept my deepest sympathy about having daughters of that age, I thought they were much younger.
In their eyes you most probably look like a £ sign ($ for our US cousins).
Snuff it monday, all your bits on ebay before you are cold. The following monday morning, down into the ground, in the afternoon they are out shopping with the proceeds from ebay. Modern throw away thinking, including yourself.

John

Hi John,
No problem. If they were interested I would teach or encourage them. Firebird has the same problem so we both approach it in the same way. If none of the women want to go anywhere near the workshop, they don't want to go to shows and talk about you as "Oh he's in his little room doing something or other"then fine. We do the same as the Americans.....build a DEN. This is probably the best idea to be exported by them...a place for guys, where only guys want to go and more importantly where the beer and biscuits are stored. Look along the workshop...lathe, mill, sander, fridge, tv, comfy chair. I am not chauvinist because women are cordially invited into my den if they want to enter but the wife may object. Don't know why it's only modelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or what was it? Oh yes " Doing something in his little room"!!

Regards

Julian.

Latest posts

Back