Next Engine?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerdz

Reaction score
Ive completed my first wobbler. I plan on making more, including some from "Making simple model steam engines", so After I make a few more wobblers, which steam engine should I go for next? I want to make something with a simple valve, where the piston is held still (ie doesnt wobble). I like to plan ahead to make sure I have enough stock :)

I have a lathe and a drill press, But no Mill or Milling attachment (However, I have thought of a way of making one!)

I was thinking of trying Elmers #19 "Standby" but dont know if it would be suitable to be made without a mill. Im still trying to understand the valving on that one.

Chris,
Congratulations on your first wobbler.
I think that the "Standby" could be built without much trouble with out any means of milling. A 4 jaw chuck would probably be necessary so you could true up the edges of the stock and for aligning the cylinder to bore it. The only special tools necessary would be a couple of reamers. One for the cylinder bore and one for the crankshaft bushing. The crankshaft will have to be a close fit as it also does the valving. If you are careful with the boring you could get by with out a reamer for the cylinder bore.

If you are still having trouble with the valving I, or many others, will be glad to walk you through it.
Gail in NM

This one easy to build

http://npmccabe.tripod.com/mccaberunner.htm

A see through version I built
thumb2_Claire_3a.JPG

Tin

Chris,
Congratulations on your first wobbler.
I think that the "Standby" could be built without much trouble with out any means of milling. A 4 jaw chuck would probably be necessary so you could true up the edges of the stock and for aligning the cylinder to bore it. The only special tools necessary would be a couple of reamers. One for the cylinder bore and one for the crankshaft bushing. The crankshaft will have to be a close fit as it also does the valving. If you are careful with the boring you could get by with out a reamer for the cylinder bore.

If you are still having trouble with the valving I, or many others, will be glad to walk you through it.
Gail in NM

It looks like it uses the same bore as a wobbler (0.375), which I still have the reamer that I borrowed. I would just have to get a 3/16 reamer, or Buy One. A set of reamers should be one of the next things I buy.

Tin, Hmm I do have 1/2 Acyrlic around the shop somewhere..I could do that! I should make a clear cylinder from acrylic for my second wobbler. It would defiantly look cool even if it didnt run.

ADD: You know, Im surprised no one mentioned the HMEM EZ Engine! I found it by chance. I might do that one as well.

Back