Newbie machinng projects

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chazz

Reaction score
After spending the last while tweaking my machines, I decided I wanted a couple of easy machining prrojects and while during my leasurly day off surfing about I came across 2 projects I thought I'd share. I believe both projects accomplish a lot of things (for me) ;D
1. Simple
2. Skill devloping
3. Inexpensive
4. Great for kids\gifts

I uploaded 2 .pdf files (I hope ;)) Newbie Project 1 & 2. The first 'Wire Puzzle', I'm thinking I have a chunk of 6" x 1/4" flat stock and couldn't a person make a 2 sided wire bending jig, excellent lay out project for locating the bending pins, drilling practice, wire bending then the soldering practice on the 'ring' joints and finally, if a guy knows what he's doing ;) he\she might be able to knock off a half dozen or stocking stuffers once a year on a 'rainy afternoon' just by pulling your trusty 'jig' out.

Question, wire type and is it worthit\necessary to heat treat?

The next Puzzle, Andromeda although presented in wood I thought would be a simple beginng milling project wher I'm substituting wood with Alu, Brass, 2 types of steel. For me I'm changing the overall lenght to 4.5" x 3/4"dia. stock, as all my current mills are imperial :-\ Again very simple, practice with different materials, stocking stuffer factor and I think (there I go thinking again. :)) set up right, most steps would allow you to make 2 at the same time? I know they are not engines but they seem to meet every bit of simple criteria and I thought some other beginners might enjoy these projects.

Cheers,
Chazz

Back