Newbie in search of Plans for a Cam Grinder...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNC-Joe

Reaction score
Group,

I am a newbie, with some basic machining skills and some cnc equipment .. wanting to get into this hobby after seeing the inspiring work here.

Can anyone help me find info on designing cams?

Can anyone help me find a plan set for a cam grinder?
Prefer a free one.

If you'd like -you can send files to my home email address:
JoeComunale [AT] comcast.net

of course - replace [AT] with the @ symbol

Thanks for any help!

Joe

I found this video it might give you some ideas on making a cam grinder.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88CgdUkrk3s[/ame]

All the best, Paul

Wow! Thanks Paul! That's a really awesome camshaft grinding system.
Do you know where I can find plans for making something like that?

Thanks for your help!

Joe

any basic IC engine plan that needs a cam should have the cam designs.

you say you have cnc so why not rough out the cam with cnc and touch up smooth out by hand.

You should not need a cam grinder unless you are doing something complicated like a v-8. I suggest you start with a single cylinder engine then a double or two before getting into complex ics.
Tin

Hmm- that gives me an idea - I could possibly cut out the cam lobes on my mill then silver solder them to a shaft... just rotating them to the correct position before silver soldering... might just be worth a shot - as I do see valves that are put together with silver soldering... dunno! Maybe might work

One of the things I often see in the homebuilt cam grinders is the lack of HP and ridigity. If you look on ebay and other sites for a Gorton single point grinder, this has many features needed in a cam grinder, and they sell cheap, around $150-300. Cast iron, compact, real grinding spindle, 1/2 balanced motor, 7000 spindle rpm, and a rail mounted workhead, that once removed, provides space to mount the cam turning setup.

I have one of these grinders which I use for grinding carbide bits. It just looks so right to be made into a camgrinder.

Wowsers! Thank You MachineTom, canadianhorsepower/Luc !!!
That article by Joachim Steinke is awesome!!

Merci beaucoup - Luc!

( Vielen Dank, Herr Steinke - zie CamGrindung machienen ist wirklich sehr gut! ) Ok so much for my German language skills ( es ist nicht meine erste sprache )

That's exactly the sort of thing that I'm wanting to build.
I can see that this place has an abundance of knowledge and skill.
:)

Thanks again, Guys!

Joe

Joe,
If you have a rotary table you can use an end mill and CamCalc, Google it. If you can program the steps it would be quick, otherwise it's tedious. If you set degree per pass setting at 2 degrees it gives you a nice finish. I used it on my Upshur verticle single. Don't need a grinder for that. Unless of course you want to make a grinder.
Art

Hi Art,

- All I can find when googling for that CamCalc - is an Android app for camera's?
- Do you have a link to the website?

Sure appreciate the help, everyone.

I'm thinking I'll start with a wobbler air motor, then maybe go to a V-2 or V-4 wobbler. Then a 1 cylinder IC. I'd really rather do the IC stuff.

Joe

An interesting difference between the grinders referenced above. The one by Ken uses a straight edge follower against the master cam, while the one by Joachim uses a curved section. This will be more accurate than the straight edge since the wheel generating the cam is round. The flat follower will cause a different profile.

Art - Thanks for the links. I can see getting a bunch of back issues of Strictly IC... looks like there's a wealth of knowledge out there.

Steve - Hey - I know you're busy. Was great seeing you today for the engine block casting. Definitely will have ot do it again sometime soon.

Latest posts

Back