Newbie - from Missouri USA

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Bailey

Reaction score
Hello,
Just joined, first posting. I can tell from what I have seen that I have a lot to learn.
I'm retired, a hobby machinist and enjoy anything that turns thermal energy into kinetic energy and noise. ;D
Bob Bailey

Welcome Bob,
Seems like you found the right place given your interests :) As you will also find out, one thing that is very much in order here is pictures!! Feel free to share pictures of your shop, machines, projects or other assorted noise makers :big:

Regards,
Bill

I was at an airshow recently, where a twin engined radial flew low and slow, and the announcer commented 'Turning dinosaurs into noise' ... your comment reminded me of that =)

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us :)

- Ryan

Bob,

Welcome to our forum wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

A very warm welcome. Enjoy the ride.
gbritnell

Bob,

Welcome!, what part of the state are you in? I am next door to your east In Belleville, IL

Dale

Thanks everyone for the kind words.
Regarding shop picture at the moment equipment is in storage, My primary objective right now is to build a small workshop.
My Sweetie supports whatever I want to do, but she was not too happy about the swarf in the rug
and definitely did not like the welding. Hence the need for a workshop.

My location is rural central Missouri, Southeast of Columbia and Northeast of Jefferson City.

I have been reading the thread about the hit-n-miss construction project and really enjoyed it.
Bob B.

Bob:

Welcome!

Just curious whether you built a freestanding workshop to keep dwarf out of your rug, and
, if so, how big it is.

Nelson
(***************.com)

Allthumbz said:
Bob:

Welcome!

Just curious whether you built a freestanding workshop to keep dwarf out of your rug, and
, if so, how big it is.

Nelson
(***************.com)

Oh shoot, I was thinking about an indoor workshop, but I didn't think about letting dwarfs get in the rug ;D

- Ryan

Bob : Welcome to the board. There are definitely pros and cons to having a shop in the house or detached somewhere.
My shop is a shed room attached to the back of my house advertised as a mud room . I am pretty much forced to do a good cleanup after using my south bend lathe as the main entrance into the the house is right by the lathe. And the three cats like to hang out there as well. so I get dust rhinos ( a mixture of cat hair household dust and swarf)

The problems I see with a detached shop: out of sight out of mind. Shops can easily turn to storage areas when not used . The wife or kids will set dads stuff out of the way in the shop. It piles up and is in the way. heating cooling can be more of an issue. And unless you have climate control humidity and rust is much more of an issue.
I am a fair weather welder my little wire feed welder is keep in a shed and I do my welding outside on a set of portable horses.
If I had a Tig setup I might weld inside otherwise no way just too much fumes.
Enjoy the shop but we need to remember to be kind to the wife kids and pets.
Tin

Hello again,
For the purpose of family harmony my shop will be detached, but I don't think it will be forgotten. I totally enjoy working with my hands, both metal and wood. So far I have not seen any dwarfs in my work area, but as long as they were nice they would be welcome. ;D I tried to convince my dear wife that aluminum swarf was good for the rug, but she didn't buy that. I guess after I told her the Earth was going to be destroyed in 23 million years so there was no sense in fixing up the yard that I lost some creditability. <sigh> At present I do my welding outside, but that limits me by the weather and in Missouri it changes a lot. My shop will be relatively small, but it will not be used a junk storage area. Well unless you consider most of my tools which are very close to being junk, but to me they are still treasures. The building itself will be constructed mostly from scrounged materials so that pretty much limits the size. At my age I don't want to borrow any money so construction may take a while. So far I have enough plywood and enough 2 by 6's, yesterday a neighbor asked me if I wanted several 20 foot 2 by 6's or he was going to haul them to the ditch. I did not have to think about about that for long.
Hope I have answered all the questions, thanks again for the kind words.
Bob Bailey

Latest posts

Back