New Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paolo

Reaction score
I'm thinking to change my Veprug 0761(SIEG 7x12)..I'm attracted from The Myford super 7...I have two owner in contact...
as you can see....
This one need a long restoration job and it comes without Tailstock and upper slide turret...
img_31789624_1.jpg

the other one seems to be in complete but the owner says it need also some undifined yet restoration job..
2498_1.jpg

Or....going straight on to Optimum 240x500G "Vario".....Dilemma :hDe: :hDe: :hDe:
optimum-leitspindeldrehmaschine-d24.jpg

Paolo

Moin.
From my point of view,I would take none of them.
Look for a much better maintained Super 7.
If something looks rotten and handled without any trace of sympathy,and both Myfords do,it is very likely to be rotten inside.
How can someone treat a good lathe in such a bad manner? :mad:
Ralph
Btw.Forget the chinese lathe.It´s not bad,but the Super 7 is a legend ;)

Paolo, having seen in your posts Your great attitude to this hobby... I would recommend an Italian "Ceriani" or a German "Wabeco" for you!!! (If You can't find the jewel "Myford" with a better look, of course).
For sure they cost much more than the Optimum, and I know You have the BF-20 mill, but somewhere I read that the quality of Optimum lathes is not comparable to their mills.
Ciao!

Hi Xlmyford and Debian
..thank for supporting me...in that difficult chois...It's so strange for me hear that the quality of Optimum lathes is not comparable to their mills. I'm really satisfied by my BF 20...!! Unfortunatelly in Italy the Myford in good condition is a dream...The rusted one comes from an school dismaltling...the second one comes as buyback from a little industry.
Wabeco....Ceriani really interesting suggestion... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Depending on the price and what is wrong with the second one I would at least consider it. It is on an original Myford stand and only appears to be dirty with paint knocked off rather than any serious mechanical damage. It has apparently had a hard life and would need checking carefully to see how worn it is but there is nothing obviously missing. Where is it? Make sure it has all the change gears, should being in Italy have the metric conversion gears as well. If they are missing it will add quite a bit to the cost.

Richard.

Hi Richard
I'm on the same Idea The seller is going to do a deep check over It, I'm so far from his shop, and He will be more precise about condition and price. It seams haven't any change gear but one had been found via eBay at about 150£...Crossing the finghers!!! :-\ :-\ :-\
Best regards
Paolo

Hallo Paolo.
Changewheels from british suppliers seem to be good value
Within the EU,there will be no custom fees or tax to pay.
RDG
You have to scroll down that page.
Regards,Ralph

I would tend to agree, I was about to buy a chinese lathe but had a change of heart near the end and bought a harrison. It was probably one of my better decisions, it's a big machine, but if you have the space it's worth it for all the features it has.

Having said that, I know a lot of people that make fantastic things on chinese lathes. I have a chinese milling machine and can the quality difference between it and the lathe is vast, however, it seems to work quite well, and as long as you find their limitations / little improvements that can be made they can be brilliant and a good investment.

Nick

Hi Nick and Ralph
I have two pics in front of me...trying to decide...
optimum-leitspindeldrehmaschine-d24.jpg

and this one....
dav203p.jpg

The price difference is about 400€...Optimum is most favourable...Really I don't know...
Best regards
Paolo

The Optimum is a Chinese made lathe with a German design and warranty. I have a F45 mill from them with no complaints. ;)

Hallo Paolo.
You can´t go wrong with the Optimum.It is said to be the best of the chinese made.
It is proven chinese made quality,the factory is under german management, and their customer service,actually I can only talk about the service bases in Germany, is more than excellent.They have bases all over europe.
They give two years warranty and are very generous after that.
Of course it is not a Myford or anything like that.But you can build excellent parts with that lathe,if you can.
Don´t know anything about that other lathe.
Cheers,Ralph

Ceriani

it is a small, REAL lathe!

did you see that it has the ways that don't touch the headstock, to let greater diameter to be turn (like the Myford :) )?

it is made in Italy and the factory offers a rebuilding service when it will be worn by use

I've looked at the Ceriani before on ebay and they look a real quality piece of kit, but aren't they a small fortune? I also know somebody that has a Wabeco milling machine which he says is great. I have a cheap chinese version of that and it's alright. How much are both of those?

Nick

The Ceriani mills start around £3000GBP so I would think the latehs are around the same price. The Wabeco are in the same price range £3000GBP for a 200mm swing lathe and £5000+GBP for 280mm swing.

Jason

Nice but too expensive for me! I'd go for a good second hand machine or one of the bigger chinese type ones if you've got the cash.

Nick

Hello my friends
"Alea tracta est" th_wav
..After a long trip over the web and a lots of contact with sellers and factories...I decided!!!
The winner is.........................................C E R I A N I 203 Norton "David"....My personalized version is:
MOD. DAVID 203 NORTON
with 4 automatic longitudinal feeds and n. 30 threading leads - Semi-Norton System - Metric threading pitches from 0,5 to 2,5 - Whitworth from 11 to 40 - Module from 0,1 to 1.
Technical Data :

Height of centers mm 100
Distance between centers mm 500
Lathe bed mm 120
Swing over bed mm 200
Swing over gap mm 260
Swing over carriage mm 120
Width between gap edge and bedplate edge mm 60
Spindle diameter mm 125
Spindle hole mm 35
Passage bar mm 35
Spindle taper morse 3
Cross slide travel mm 100
Carriage travel mm 60
Rotation angle of carriage 45° + 45°
Tailstock sleeve travel mm 60
Tailstock sleeve diameter mm 25
Tailstock taper morse 2
Speeds range RPM n. 7 min. 1° 100 ÷ 1800
HP motor HP 0.75
Overall dimensions mm 1000 x 470 x 350
Approximate weight without base kg 80 / 85

The price was..reasonable.... ::) My wife doesn't know the real price yet! :big: :big: :big:
Thanks for supporting me.....!!

Paolo ... good work! It looks like an excellent quality of machine ... I hope you keep us informed - don't tell the wife you need the milling machine to match just yet! ;D

Nick

congrats on a good choice Paolo!

give us a lot of pics when it will be in your workshop

So You decided for the best choice, eh? great Paolo!!! :bow:
I'm sure You'll never regret it!
Waiting with Ariz for a photograpic report, even of the BF-20, of course!

Paolo

p.s.: goditi il momento dell'attesa ;D

Back