New in Oklahoma

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black85vette

Reaction score
Greetings. Been enjoying reading through the many threads here and looking at the projects. Looks like a good combination of people with experience and answers but a very mellow style. Suits me just fine.

About me: I took a basic machine shop class a few years ago mostly to go along with my interest in Corvettes and Hot Rods. Made sense to me that I could make custom parts cheaper that buying them and they would be just what I wanted. Just last year I saw some plans for an oscillating engine and thought it would not be too tough so I made one in about a week. Then I did one of Elmer's engines. Through that process I discovered that there was plenty I did not know and these small projects were inexpensive and great learning opportunities to develop techniques and skills that would come in handy. I have also had to make some additions to my tooling which is always OK with me. ;)

So thats about enough of an intro. I will try to get some pictures posted of my few projects. Mostly I look for projects that I either think will be interesting to build or because the mechanics of the engine look interesting to me. Planning on a hand held LTD Stirling soon and am starting to order parts. But the next engine will likely be Elmer's #33 Mill Engine because I have not done a double acting steam engine yet and it looks to be within my abilities.

Regards,
Rick

Hi Rick,

Welcome to HMEM. Looking forward to sharing ideas and seeing your projects.

Chuck

Rick,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Here are some pics of my first engine attempt. I modified the plans from Little Machine Shop's oscillating engine to fit the materials I already had. Mostly aluminum and a steel piston. One little trick: look at the 4th picture and see the two square areas. One of them over the intake and exhaust ports. I used some 3/1000 thick teflon tape (not pipe type). It keeps the aluminum from rubbing together, eliminates wear, and reduces friction quite a bit. I use it when I need a really small clearance or a washer won't work. It tolerates both high heat and high pressure.

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

Welcome. You'll find lots of good ideas here. This is a picture of my first engine.

IMG_4674.JPG

Hello Rick
Welcome aboard....
Cheers Paolo

Rick, welcome to HMEM! Great looking engine you have there!! And a great trick with the teflon ;)

Latest posts

Back