New Holland Igniter Problem

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on my nh engine the points are closed except when it fires. and when the points open is when the spark happens. that's why they have a spring on the trip to cause them open with the snap and you only need about a 1/32" gap to cause the spark.
i use a 12v battery and a "universal" magnetic ballast pt#200h200i which cost me $6. the upc code is 768386133650 and it probably can be purchased at any electronic supply house.

Kermit said:
http://www.old-engine.com/magign.htm

found some tutorial pages on the ignitor.

Something you might consider unless you already know this. The sparks happens when the contacts seperate, not when they contact. Perhaps a timing issue that doesn't cause problems until the engine gets some speed up.

Kermit

LOOK at the link. It explains the coil and how it operates

bmuss51, I sent you a PM. I've got some questions about your engine.

Kermit, thanks for the heads up on that site. I have looked at it and I think I am following all the rules. One thing I am trying to find out is the recommended voltage input for this coil. I have to contact the mfg. to find that out. I purchased it from the guy that sell the casting kits so I can only assume it is the right coil for this engine.

One thing I found out today is that I didn't have a real good ground connection through the engine. I run a wire directly to the igniter and it improved the running somewhat. Still not where it should be.

I wish I had your electrical background -- even just a little of it would help. I can struggle through 110/220 house wiring but anything that involves a coil, filter, condenser, transistor, resistors, and all that other stuff, I am totally lost!!!!!!!

It could turn out to be something as simple as the battery being 12 volt or 6volt.

Find out from the maker to be sure. 6 volt was common for all those engines, but 12 volt is king today and parts for 12 volt are cheaper to make and therefore much more commonly used in the lower voltage setups. Not saying they should be but when stuff is sold - things happen :p

Sorry for sounding so 'bossy' about the link. :D I had to squeeze in my replies today between grandkids and the drive back to Houston. (so what's my excuse for the rest of the time :eek: )

Keep after it brother. You'll get it all right as rain soon enough.

Sorry for sounding so 'bossy' about the link.
Not a problem Kermit. No offense taken. Hope you had a good weekend with the grandkids. As you get older, you just can't see enough of them.

I know what the coil & igniter is suppose to do, I just don't know why it isn't doing it. :wall: :wall: :redface2:

Well boys & girls , it's RUNNING!!! woohoo1 woohoo1
NewHolland036.jpg

woohoo1
I finally got impatient waiting for confirmation on the recommended voltage for this coil and hooked it up to 12V and the engine took off. I didn't have to change timing, fuel mixer, or anything else to get it running from when I used the 6V buzz coil. It was a good feeling knowing that everything I had built and assembled in the past was on target. It was just my ignorance of electronics that stood in my way. I felt the coil to see if it was getting warm or hot and felt no change in temp. I don't know if this is a reasonable test or not, but with my knowledge of electronics etc. it is all I could do. The worst that can happen is that I will have to replace the coil. I think there has always been an imaginary wall between us mechanical people and those "spark chasers". ;D It finally caught up with me. :wall:

I would really like to thank all the people that encouraged and helped me on getting this engine running: Kermit, Stan, Maryak, Andre, Kuhnew, Zee, Rudy, 90LX, Chuck, Joe d, George, and especially bmuss51 who helped off line with many photos and good info. I hope I didn't forget anyone. That is the danger of trying to thank all the people for their special help.

PPM,

Congratulations :bow: :bow: :bow: That is one very fine looking and running engine.

Best Regards
Bob

Arv: According to your description of how the coil is only energized momentarily, then the duty cycle is very low and overheating would not likely be a problem. The risk with doubling the input voltage is that the higher output voltage could cause insulation breakdown inside the coil. Your attitude reflects what i suggested earlier. Try it and see what happens. If it blows up you have to get a new coil.

On cars that use a dropping resistor to the coil (12 volt start and 6 volt run) if you bypass the resistor, you burn out the spark plugs, not the coil. Since you were so marginal with six volts on the coil I don't expect you will have any problem.

Congratulations on your success.

putputman said:
I finally got impatient waiting for confirmation on the recommended voltage for this coil and hooked it up to 12V and the engine took off. I didn't have to change timing, fuel mixer, or anything else to get it running from when I used the 6V buzz coil.

;D Impatience is a universal constant,
Kermit

P.S.: Nice running engine. Congrats.

Wow, the only thing I can think of that tops seeing your engine run is being nominated for "engine of the month". Win, loose, or draw, it is a real honor.

I'm sure that most of you out there are like me, pretty much alone with your hobby. The only ones that you can share it with is your family and a few close friends. It is a forum like this that allows you to share the ups & downs, ins & outs of the hobby with the entire world. Many times it is the help that I receive from this forum that keeps the projects moving.

Thanks to all of HMEM for sharing.

putputman said:
Wow, the only thing I can think of that tops seeing your engine run is being nominated for "engine of the month". Win, loose, or draw, it is a real honor.

I'm sure that most of you out there are like me, pretty much alone with your hobby. The only ones that you can share it with is your family and a few close friends. It is a forum like this that allows you to share the ups & downs, ins & outs of the hobby with the entire world. Many times it is the help that I receive from this forum that keeps the projects moving.

Thanks to all of HMEM for sharing.
Never a truer word said , great engine putputman :bow:

Congrats on getting it running and congrats on POM nomination.

Glad to see you got the New Holland running. I run 12 volts on my ignitor engines with no problems. I also had poor luck with 6 volts. My coils are simple ballasts for fluorescent lights.

Regards,

Chuck

That is one fine engine PPM. Glad to see it running so well. Congratulations. :bow:

Rudy

That is one of the finest running New Holland engines I have ever seen. From the day that Breisch sold them I had heard how temperamental they were to get running but you have overcome all of those bugs. Great job!!
gbritnell

Very nice. I have to admit, 'hit-n-miss' engines had never grabbed my interest but this one and the others I've seen on this forum are changing that. I like the sound too.

Thanks for all the comments. I am really pleased with the engine myself. There are more moving parts on this engine than any I have built before.

I have seen videos of the N H 1-1/2 HP running but I have never seen a 1/2 HP running, so George, your comment is especially appreciated.

Chuck, you are the second guy that mentioned using ballast. Do I understand it right that this is used instead of a coil? If it is, it is certainly cheaper than the $45 I paid for this mine.

Hello Arv,

The ballast is just an inductor, a coil of wire around an iron core. There is no secondary winding. I find these ballasts at hardware stores or places like Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Usually they are $5 to $6 or so. Just two wires leads and no electronics inside. They may be called a magnetic ballast.

Here is a link with a photo:

http://www.goodmart.com/products/956789.htm

They vary in appearance depending on manufacturer.

I've found, for hit and miss engines, I really prefer an ignitor.

Which coil are you using?

Regards,

Chuck

Chuck, This is the coil I am using. I bought it from Kent Smith at K & J Machine, the same place I bought the casting set. I have it tucked up under the engine so it can't easily be seen.

NewHollandCoil.jpg

Do you use the ballast with another coil or is that in place of the coil like I am using???

Hello Arv,

I just use the ballast. There is no other coil. Looking at the photo of your coil, I'd say we are both using the same type of coil, it's just that you coil looks "old time" because of the way your coil is constructed. Both our coils have only two terminals, wire wound around a steel core, and no secondary winding.

Again, contgratulations on getting the New Holland running so well.

Regards,

Chuck

Latest posts

Back