New from Western Canada

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemott

Reaction score
Hi to all, I am new to this site but not new to building models of all sorts.
I came to this site through a link to the Tiny Engine, After reading through half the thread about that tiny engine I realized I needed to register.

I am retired live by a big lake and am building model boats and a live steam locomotive 3 1/2 inch gauge. the model boats are varied a Bristol pilot Cutter that is 7 feet overall displaces 100 lbs

The boat that drew me here has a 3 hp Buffalo marine engine that I intend making. the boat was built in 1909 and is preserved and runs well it is called Skipjack and is out and about in Muskoka.

The last IC engine that I built was made from all sorts of scrap and odds and ends when I was 17 The valves were nails and it had a crankshaft made of motorcycle chain parts, had a full size set of points from an old car and ran on lighter fuel being squirted into the inlet port.

I have learned a bit since then about tools and machining, I have a Myford ML7 lathe, a Jet Mill-drill, a Do-all die filing machine, and a metal cut off saw , plus all the assorted drills end mill, Uni saw table saw, 20 inch bandsaw plus too many other tools that i have acquired over the last 45 years.

This link will show some of the work I have done.

The scale of the Buffalo engine is 1:8 and it has twin cylinders and the bore is 3 inches by 4 stroke which works out to the same dimensions as the bore and stroke of the tiny engine, which i found looking for miniature spark plug building.

I shall have a look around the site now that I am here.

Michael

Welcome Michael, love the work on the loco, looks like you have done a lot of hand work on the parts.

Paul.

Welcome to HMEM. Love the pics and looking forward to future projects.

Thank you all for the very warm welcome. I have been slowly working my way through some of the builds and some of the tutorials, there is a great deal of very skilled and creative talented people contributing to this forum. I am filling up my knowledge banks.

In the meantime I have been drawing the engine that I want to build, and like the other forum where I spend time, I suppose starting a build log of my project will no doubt be the best way to get good advice and knowledgeable feedback.

Michael

Welcome to HMEM Mike.
Your web site shows a lot of fine detailed work. Very Nice.
I hope you will enjoy HMEM and look forward to your posts.
Gail in NM

Welcome to the forum Mike. I've been swimming in one of your "big lakes", at Georgian Bay near the Blue Mountains resort. Very nice.

Thanks, I have visited Georgian Bay but not swam there. It is a long way from where I am in Alberta. I have fond memories of Lulworth Cove in Dorset used to go camping there when I was a teenager and swam in the cove, and near Durdle Door. Seems like it was a lifetime ago.

Michael

Hi Peter
The engine in the avatar is the engine for the model of the Mc Curdy Bi Plane model that is in the Canadian Hall of Aviation I started the model including the main structure and the engine but I let somebody else finish the model. it is a non working model. Are you involved with the Alberta Society of Model Engineers?

I will be in Calgary on the 14 15 and possibly 16th of this month I am giving my son a wood lathe for his birthday.

Michael

Lucky son! :)

No, I'm not involved with ASME although I recall taking my kids for model locomotive ride on track facility near Airdrie & some display show of nice, stationary type antique engines. Sheesh, that must have been over 10 years ago now. One of the fellows I met when I was a teenager was a live steam craftsman. I guess maybe that was my first introduction to the marvels of what is possible in home shop machining. I'm kind of an aviation buff, but I certainly do appreciate the metalworking skills no matter the end result. Nice meeting you!

Welcome aboard, I hope you find this place a great source of information sharing and inspiration as I have.

Tomo and Gus
Thank you for your welcome, This site definitely is full of the most useful knowledge so that while it proves the wonderful possibilities of building small engines, it demonstrates the more impressive work that many of the members are doing.

Michael

Welcome to the site Michael, you are correct in saying that there is a lot of impressive work on this site. Are you in southern Alberta or northern alberta?

Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Model Engines

Warm well come from faraway Brazil Michael!
I have visited your country about 10 years ago at Ghelph a small city near Toronto, I also took the opportunity to know the Niagara Falls, very beautiful area.

The work you have done on the Loco at the photos is top of work.

Edi

Jon, Edi, Thank you for your warm welcomes.
Jon I live west of Edmonton at Seba Beach which is at the western end of Lake Wabumun.
Edi Thank you for the compliment on the loco.

Michael

Latest posts

Back