Need advice

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey00

Reaction score
I have a few used air chisels from work. was wondering if I could use them as cutting tools for my lathe after I grind them down to something usable? I have attached a pic of them.

air tools.JPG

I suppose the first question is what material are they made from? If they are not suitable for direct cutting then they could be converted into tools with the throw away cutting tips.

Mike,

They are most likely some form of carbon steel which will have been tempered for toughness. Carbon steel was the forerunner of High Speed Steel for use as lathe tools and whilst it will cut non ferrous and mild steel, it does not like heat and must be kept cool or it will lose its' edge very quickly.

With the price of HSS, my advice is don't bother. IMHO it's a lot of work to grind them to the correct shape and then temper them, to end up with a second rate lathe tool.

Hope this helps ??? ???

Best Regards
Bob.

EDIT - MM's suggestion is a good one. :bow: :bow:

I agree they are probably as tough as old boots.However,if you can lay your hands on bits of carbide,they can be brazed onto them,and then sharpened on a green grit wheel.
But if you have to buy the carbide,you might as well stick with HSS.Cheaper and easier to handle.
You could use them as cold chisels though.

Bits of carbide are cheap and easy to get - just buy a 7 1/4" tc circular saw blade and desolder the tips off it. They only cost a few dollars and you end up with 40 or 60 tips.

according to my references, S2 is the tool steel for pneumatic chisles

also used in wrenches, some dies, stamps, and afew other things, but not cutting tools

Thanks for all the input guys, I half suspected the answers you gave. I had to ask all the experts and get other opinions just to cover all bases. Looks like I have some more chisels for my toolbox. Again thanks.

Hi Mikey 100
On the safety side I would not recommend using those air chisels with a hammer as the end that goes to the piston in the air tool is normally hardend right through and would splinter if struck with a normal hammer (unless you have a lead / bronze one)

Paul

Latest posts

Back