N.A.M.E.S expo

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTsideshow

Reaction score
Anybody from this board going to show their models or even just to it cruise the dealers, and exhibits next week end? ;D

I'll be there showing a few of my model engines. If anyone on this board is going, be sure to stop by and introduce yourself :). I'll have a sign with the words "Home Model Engine Machinist" and philjoe on it.

Cheers,
Phil

I am trying to arrange to go...money is a little straped right now but it might work out. I will look you up phil if I get there.

Been there every year so far, not going to miss one now. Maybe everyone should write HMEM on their foreheads with magic marker so we'll know each other in the crowd.

I'll be there, Weds to start installing the regulators on the air lines,below the expo center and the piping and etc and on the tables. Will be there till its pretty much in the trailers on Sun night.

As Phoiljoe5 said just put a 3x5 sized card in one of the card holders next to your display. Maybe for next year we can come up with a name tag design
Does anybody need the safety info sheet or the fuel restrictions by the fire dept. I can post a copy here if needed.
;D

To anybody loading up and heading out to the NAMES EXPO hope you have a pleasant and safe trip!
;D

WOW, I just did a web search for N.A.M.E.S. expo, thats impressive!
didn't know there was such an event around here, thats got to be something to see!

Will be there shopping and looking with my father-in-law. Last year we drove out from Pittsburgh, this year the family booked some rooms at a local B&B. The displays are out of this world

I hope to go. Not sure yet. I have been in the past. Very cool stuff there.

Take some good pictures guys. I was planning on going...actually I had planned on it since Cabin Fever in York, PA. Life hit me right between the eyes last week (ie. family event that requires my attendance) and now I won't be there! :(

Hope you all stay safe and have lots of fun!

Everyone that is going... TAKE GOOD PICTURES!! ;)

That is for those of us that can't make it. Next year I will be there.

Eric

Well just returned to Western Pa from the show.It was excellent. Got the chance to shake Philjoes hand. As for pictures my wife killed the battery on the camera the day before at the Toledo Zoo, so no pictures. I had the opportunity to see some spectacular works of art. The Monitor's engine was outstanding,hard to believe it was made from stock..The largest scale engine was one that powered a side wheel paddle boat.

Have lots of pictures and some, video's will post all as I filp them right side down etc. And set up a photo page site just for the pic's along with the vid's. Have to take of some stuff be I will have a chance to start.
But it was a great show attendance down some what. Only problem is the same thing at all the shows. People leaving on the Saturday after noon(exhibitors) the dealers stayed till the end. Don't know what can be down to get people to stay. And of course a couple of the bright bulbs turned up at 2pm Sunday. And immediately started to complain about the empty spaces. One guy has down this 4 or 5 years in a row.

If anybody has any ideas on how to get people to stay till the end of the show. ;D

The way they do it in England wouldn't work here in the colonies. As the model steam/model building cultures are to different along with the population density. And the number of shows, very few compared to England.
:big:

Unfortunately on this side of the pond people have to travel long distances to display at these shows, some times driving thousands of miles (not kilometers) and have to be back at work on Monday so they have no choice but to leave Saturday night. There probably isn't a solution to that problem.

Maybe the way to go would be to lay on free insured courier pick up and return. The show organisers could then arrange for the display.
They used to do this in the UK, don't know if they still do. Maybe still do for the big London Model Engineering Exhibition show.
They used to be displayed behind glass for security, because the exhibitor couldn't be there to protect his goods. Imagine the state of the glass over a weekend with all the drool on it.
By doing it that way, you would find that there would be more than you could ever see in a day, just like the London show.

John

John,
As far as I know they still do it for the main one which is now based at Ascot.
Don't think any of the others do it but as PT says our shows are totally different in layout the the US ones.

First is distance, in the US they have to go literally 1,000's of miles to get there, In the UK people ***** about going 200 miles.

In the US they have vendor stands and model stands. Vendors are trade or semi trade and models can be a combined stand or just a single modeler with his models on show. [ I hope I have this right ]

In the UK we have trade stands and club stands.
Trade stands are out and out companies selling anything from a centre drill to a full sized Bridgeport. Some come with that you call 18 wheelers in the US rated at 42 tonnes gross.

Club stands show the models of the member belonging that club, there are no single owner stands.
Club stands are free and they also get so many free tickets for members who are showing.

Trade stands pay, That's based on position and size, a large stand in a premium spot can cost £3,000, about $6,000 so it's all taken very seriously here.

The punters on the door also pay.

Shows are usually 3 days, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, no one leaves until knock off on Sunday, That's written in stone.

According to PT, NAMES this year netted 1,600 paying punters thru the door on Saturday.

Harrogate which is in about 2-1/2 weeks if on par with last year will nett about 24,000 thru the doors over 3 days.

Last year we had 12,000 on the Friday alone.
I can't see how they could attract more people to the US shows given the distances and catchment area concerned I feel it all based on scale and is unfair to compare the two.

John SSS,

I wasn't criticising, just trying to reply to this.

Unfortunately on this side of the pond people have to travel long distances to display at these shows, some times driving thousands of miles (not kilometers) and have to be back at work on Monday so they have no choice but to leave Saturday night. There probably isn't a solution to that problem.

I had no idea how they displayed, I thought they were big shows, much larger than ours, by the way people talked about them. Maybe they get more enthusiastic about them than we do

I know all about trade fairs (commercial ones). I worked for an American company, and I used to spend over two months at the beginning of each year in Germany, first at Frankfurt Messe and then I used to go and set up the fair at Nurnberg Toy Fair. £3,000 would maybe get you piped water to your stand for a week and a lock up cupboard with a sink, if you were lucky. Our costs for two fairs usually worked out at over £70,000, but we used to take orders for up to £1m.

John

John,
I didn't take it or see it as a criticism in fact I was agreeing with you in that there is a vast difference between the two types of show that unless you have visited the US you can't appreciate.

I have always followed the stories of these shows first in the rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup before the lunatics took over and in other forums.
After being brought up on UK shows I was amazed to find out how sparsely attended they were. Given that our home grown model engineer will moan and whine that Harrogate is too far to travel from London [ 218 miles or 3 hours on train ] it's brilliant that they get the attendance that they do.

Also the clubs in the UK are different again because of distance.
Most large towns which are usually less than 30 miles apart have a club of sorts. Now transpose that the towns in the US that are 200 to 300 miles apart and often more and you can see why they have to reply on separate people to show their models.

Don't forget that the big shows in Britain have be going for almost 100 years now and if you look at pictures in old ME magazines the shows back then for the first 20 or 30 year were not that big either.

The first Names show fit into a very small auditorium and has been expanding at a good rate ever since, this year seems to be an exception ,there didn't seem to be as many displayer's, retailer or visitor's (poor economy and higher gas prices). With the distances that have to be traveled most people that would like to go to the shows here just can't make it. If a show was held in a city like New York and was well advertised the attendance would be much higher.

The show appears to only be advertised to the hobby itself and not much to the general public, which would cost a lot of money that probably isn't available. This would also keep attendance down compared to what it might be but the people that show up are very enthusiastic.

Another point is, that as well as the hobby is liked here it is no were as big a hobby as it is in the UK and the people that are in it are very spread out but it seems to still be growing. Come back in another 20 years and see what it is like.

Back