My very first Webster Petrol IC Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D.Head done while the bad Haze went up and down.

PSI 200-------400------200. PSI stands for Particle Standard Index.120 is unhealthy.300 and above is hazardous.

Good news the Indonesian goverment is trying to make rain.
6 major companies will be named and shamed.There three foreign companies.

IMG_1919.jpg

Hi Goldflash,

Thanks for expressing concern to our welfare.
I stay indoor and wait for the PSI level to drop and right now at 7:15am local time,PSI(particle level indication) is about 300 and hazardous. A mini ioniser light given by a friend helps lower PSI in the bedroom. Will look for a bigger one for the living room.

The Indonesian President is responding and sending his men on site to fix it asap but the minister in charge is responding queerly,do nothing and expiring
garbage words and breathe.Just making a fool of himself.Our P.M.wisely chose not have a verbal war which makes it worse and get no where. This the worse occasion and was never this bad.
Conditions in Rhiau Province where burning took place,is way above hazardous. Airliners cannot land.Motorist cannot see beyond 100 meters.

South S.E. Malaysia is having it worst than us. So they will get vocal and very vociferous.:mad::mad::wall::wall:

As Gus,the conditon brings side benefits.With dry spell and inland sea water
receiving no rain means good fishing.Will post catch.

Dividing Head to cut pinion gear now W.I.P. Will post.

Regards,

Gus Teng.

Hi Goldflash,
Took a break and went fishing today. With good weather and haze down to 100---150 PSI,was a good fishing day.Not a single drop of rain for past week means the Straits of Johore waters pristine and fish plenty & biting.
See fotos. My fishing mates have no complains. See live tank,drained dry.More than enough fish to share. Was a nice break away from making "Webster".

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

Nice fish Gus!!! I used to fish a lot when I was much younger. Still wish I enjoyed it as much. I have one son who is a real fisherman.

Dividing Head 100% done. Work on Webster will restart. Cut Pinion gear using existing 50T as Dividing Plate to get 25T pinion.
Will post first gear cut.

IMG_1962.jpg

Cam Cutting made easy with my DIY Rotary Table.The roughing endmill
made cam cutting easier.

My sincere thanks to the HMEM Gurus who taught me how to cut cams.Cam done and Loctited to cam gear wheel.

See fotos.

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

Last edited:
Mechanically completed after 1 1/2 months of Monday to Friday work days.
Now to go for the wooden base,electrics and the mini fuel tanks. All these are different ball games. My carpentry is hopeless and electrics bad and soft soldering the fuel tanks equally bad.However
will deal with each, one by one. Base box--------buy custom cut plywood. Electrics ------get experts to help out.
Soldering will be a problem. My soft soldering is inconsistent from good to bad.

See foto of "Webby".

IMG_1995.jpg

That does look nice Gus! I looking forward to seeing it run.

Looking Great Gus.
Have been following your build on this project
Looking forward to hearing it run.

Ralph

Looking Great Gus.
Have been following your build on this project
Looking forward to hearing it run.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

That will hapen in another three weeks I hope. Now about to buy material to make the box/base. Then figure out the electrics.The fuel not done yet.
Thanks for the support. Coming Monday 8 taking my better half to Osaka for a short holiday.

Crankshaft and crankdisc parted way while cranking with slow speed drill to run in piston rings and cylinder bore.Gus did a lousy silver brazed joint. Will clean up and buy Silver Braze Rods good for steel. Believe my stock of silver rods were of low silver content.
Did notice melt flow adhesion not so good. See foto.
This time will pickle before brazing and watch temperature to red heat before apply silver rod.
Will also put to use the double barrel Mapp Gas torch.

IMG_1996.jpg

Last edited:
Bad luck with the crankshaft Gus. I have found it helpful to file a few flats on the shaft to provide small gaps for the solder to flow into.

Jim

Gus--You're not the first person to have that happen. It happened to me on a finished twin cylinder engine that I was trying to "loosen up" by driving it with an electric drill!!! I soldered it back together "in place", and its still running good. These are all learning experiences.---(Although I have always kind of thought that once you get past 65, you shouldn't HAVE TO learn things!!!---Brian

Bad luck with the crankshaft Gus. I have found it helpful to file a few flats on the shaft to provide small gaps for the solder to flow into.

Jim

Hi Jim,
Sounds good.Will monkey see,monkey do.
When I saw no excess solder slipped thru joint,I knew separation may happen.
Just another stubborn "70" young man!!:wall::wall:
Good lesson learnt. WIll use the new Mapp Gas Double Barrel Torch Burner to heat up to red heat faster.:):)

Haze is about over with PMI down to 2.5. But during the haze,we had dry spell which means no rain and sea water pristine and the fish did bite like crazy.

Gus--You're not the first person to have that happen. It happened to me on a finished twin cylinder engine that I was trying to "loosen up" by driving it with an electric drill!!! I soldered it back together "in place", and its still running good. These are all learning experiences.---(Although I have always kind of thought that once you get past 65, you shouldn't HAVE TO learn things!!!---Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for listening to my woes. Will move and get silver brazing redone.

Need your expert advice. I did follow print dimension to the dot but piston clearance from from outer head seems bit excessive to TDC. How much should be? Need your input to check same clearance.

Did hone with the three prong honer and pistons rings are showing sign of
seating and contact. Though a bit more to go.

Gus--I just did a quick run through of the dimensions on the Webster plans, and took a really crummy photograph. It looks like you have about 1/4" from the top of the piston to the inside of the cavity in the cylinder head. I built my Webster to the plans dimensions and it works fine.----Brian

Hey Gus, the Webster is looking good, can't wait to see it run. Sorry to see you had trouble with the crank. I have silver soldered 1000's of parts when I was working. I like to use bare silver soldered wire and apply the flux myself. I heat till the flux melts, then I melt a small drop of soldered and heat till it flows, adding more if needed. Don't get the part too hot. If you don't trust the joint you can add a small set screw in the joint between the shaft and crank arm. I attached a picture of my Webster crank, it is just a press fit with a flat for a driver and a set screw for added safety.

Keep up the good work

Bill

100_0722.jpg

Hey Gus, the Webster is looking good, can't wait to see it run. Sorry to see you had trouble with the crank. I have silver soldered 1000's of parts when I was working. I like to use bare silver soldered wire and apply the flux myself. I heat till the flux melts, then I melt a small drop of soldered and heat till it flows, adding more if needed. Don't get the part too hot. If you don't trust the joint you can add a small set screw in the joint between the shaft and crank arm. I attached a picture of my Webster crank, it is just a press fit with a flat for a driver and a set screw for added safety.

Keep up the good work

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the advice and support.
Deployed the entire heating arsenal Gus possessed. Grooved the shaft butt
end a wee bitty. Tried hard not to burn off the flux paste.O.K. Got full fusion
silver braze. You are right at too low red heat silver rod won't melt and flow and too high red heat ,you damage the weld metal.A wee bitty glob on the weld area is good temperature indicator.

Guess I can re-assemble and glaze piston rings and cylinder wall. Reminds me of the Ingersoll-Rand procedure of running the huge process gas compressors with valves removed for 24 hours. To get rated pressure and capacity.

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

Last edited:
Back