my very 1st project - a vaccum motor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kutzdibutz

Reaction score
Hi folks.
This motor I finished quite some years ago- long before I found this forum... But anyways- here it is:
The build went remarkably smooth. Except a broken off M2 tap there was no mishaps. Part by part done, assemble, first fire and 'bang' it runs.
There are no pictures of the build, but of the final product:

IMG_1143.jpg

Looks like a great flame eater!!

Now how about a video to make up for the lack of build pictures??? ;D

Hope to see some more of your work soon!

Andrew

having said the built went smooth doesnt mean there was no lessons learned... ::)

- the crankshaft I tried so solder. Stailness steel. I even sand blasted the contact surfaces for better bonding- haha...
But it didnt work with my desparate try with electronic solder and my soldering iron. Even adding extra flux and assisting with one of these 1100°C lighters didnt help (and I thought that thing would do such a great deal of improvement...). I ended up glueing it with epoxy. It worked, but I would certainly not do it again that way... Better use a tight fit and bolt it, if not braze it (HT solder).

- for the bearing posts I didnt bother to set some positioning pins nor did I machine them mounted to the base plate (not even in one fixation!). So mounting the crankshaft with the ball bearings was quite a fiddly thing with locking the individual screws with just the tension it needs. Bot more here, bit less there so the shaft was turning smooth.

- initially I didnt foresee a solid connection between the bearing posts and the plate where the cylinder is mounted. At the first run I learned that there must be quite some force because the plate started to bend and shake during operation. The correction was fairly straight forward. Bolt some beams of the correct lenth between the bearing posts and the cylinder plate- done and working.

Well, and the general craftmanship of this one is rather rough. I works, but it could have been done prettier... I was in a rush, just having bought the lathe and mill, not having all the tools yet, but wanting to get this thing done. I was very lucky that it went that smooth at the end...

Ah- a video:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RIQB-bnz4E[/ame]

Cheers, Karsten

... it ended up on a wooden plate as a birthday present for my dad. (ha- it stays in the family, otherwise I would have had a hard time letting it go- if I would at all...)

Cheers

IMG_2337.JPG

Nice running engine.

What material did you use for the Cylinder & Piston?

IronHorse

Excellent work, well done. Looking forward to the next model.
Brock

Excellent runner and a great sound!!!!

Thanks for the video and the final picture!!
I am sure your father will treasure it!!

Andrew

Thanks guys, highly appreciated! :)

to the question:

For the piston I used some sort of stainless steel out of the scrap box of material- something with a good to go surface finish so there was not much machining on this part. (if I remember right)
For the cylinder I used brass. And at that time I didnt possess the proper drill steel, so it was quite an effort to produce the bore on the lathe and the surface finish was not really good. Luckily a friend came by with a honing tool so we could even the surface. (obviously that worked good enough ::) )

Cheers, Karsten

Back