My Take of Elmer's #33 Mill Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMI

Reaction score
Been working on this for a while, as time permits, and hope to have it done in another 2-3 months. The documentation (pictures) is not thorough, as I don’t make a habit of keeping a camera on hand.

I started with the cylinder heads:
P5040018.jpg

P5140020.jpg

P5150024.jpg

Then the cylinder itself:
P5160327.jpg

P5170328.jpg

P6020003.jpg

The base and sub-base:
P6170009.jpg

Then the crosshead guide, steam chest, and bearings:
P6290009.jpg

P6290011.jpg

This is to the original scale and with the 360 brass and 1080 steel it is relatively heavy.
I’m enjoying this build but it has not been without numerous frustrations and setbacks.

Jim

Jim,

Looks very nice from here. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Very nice, Looking forward the seeing the finished engine!

Pushing forward you are young padwan :-X
Good work
Tin

Beautiful work so far. Also looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Bill

I built this one also. Loved your cross slide bottom support. That angled hole from the edge of the cylinder to the bottom of the center hole was interesting. Your setup for it is great. This engine convinced me to work in a larger scale. Holes, taps and tolerances were too small for my eyes.

Great work. Keep it up. Thm:

:bow: certainly didn't take you a "few more months" !! Congrats, seems to be a nice runner :)

Mike

"Look Ma, Papa's turning Blue, do you think we should call 911?" Rof}

Great looking engine, and the musical accompaniment was nice as well.

Mighty fine.

BC1
Jim

Wow, :bow: :bow:

Almost convinced me to give up smoking. ::)

Seriously Jim that's great.

Best Regards
Bob

That's great Jim. Being able to run it on lungs says a lot about the quality of work.
Congratulations.

Ha, great video, and I really liked the musical accompaniment... so much so, that after watchg the video the first time, I wasn't ready for it to end. "Too short! Why isn't there more video?" ... and then, on my second time through, I saw the compressed air source. ;D
Nice work! :bow:

Nice runner! And, if you can run it with the organic compressor, it says a lot for your work.
Well done.
Oh, I'm with Vernon.. longer video when you get the chance, please!

Dean

Congratulations Jim. For an engine that large to run on lung power is just amazing. Everything has to be in perfect alignment, has to have the perfect clearances on the piston/cylinder, and crank shaft bushings. :bow: :bow:

Very nice Jim. Ditto as to the comments regarding the musical accompaniment and the quality of work to run it on lung power. Thanks for sharing the final results, though I agree a longer video would be nice as well :)

Bill

That's pretty awesome but what happened to all the other pics up to you getting it finished :( :big: :big: :big:

Thanks for all the nice comments on the engine ;D. It still has a quite a bit of finishing work yet to be done but it was so exciting to get it put together and running that I couldn't help but post the short clip. Will be working on it as time permits and hope to have it completely done in a few weeks.

I really enjoy this "hobby" but at times it nothing but hard and frustrating work. As with most efforts once the results are in hand one tends to overlook all the cussin' :rant: involved.

Jim

Latest posts

Back