My last project

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bookmaker

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just came accoss this site and signed up. Thought you might like to see my last project. It is a 426 Hemi in 1/4 scale.
DSC00068.jpg

Valvetrain001.jpg

It is entirely scratch from billet with the exception of the water pump which a friend cast for me from a plastic model.

UNBELIVEABE

How do you start a project like that?

Do you have a full size engine and measure everything and scale it down.

Or did you find a set of blue prints and scale them down?

How long of project was it?

You know just showing the pictures of your HEMI make us want to know more.

Tell us how does it sound?

Hal

Some things just make one want sit down and cry...LOL. Astounding is not too small a word for this work of art. The rocker arm racks alone are simply breathtaking. I can only hope I'm half as skilled someday in the future. Since Hal has already asked all of my own questions, I'll just wait and read the build saga.

Steve

This particular model I bought the Revel plastic clear see through model and got alot of data from the web on the full sized engine and modeled from there. In the case of my other projects one was freelance starting with a flathead block casting and making up some overhead valve heads (kind of like a 283 chev) and presto an OHV V8. I added a roots blower just for kix. On another one I borrowed a friends engine and tore it down and simply measured everything. The 427 took me a year and a half. I am not retired yet so I had to do it all on the week ends (average about 16 to 20 hours per). As far as the sound I can't seem to figure out how to post a video so here is a link. http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee186/Bookmaker32/?action=view&current=MOV00075.flv
If you are interested I can post more pictures of this and other projects.
Best regards,
Roger

This project is the one that was scaled from the real engine. It is 1/3 scale. It would have been alot easier with CNC but I do not have that capability. It took a little over a year.
ROGERBUTZENSHARLEY.jpg

This one I started out with a Challenger (Coles Power Models) flathead block and freelanced the rest. It is one third scale. The oiling to the heads is via the push rods.
blownChallenger.jpg

If anyone has any questions about the models feel free to ask.
Regards,
Roger

Very very nice Bookmaker,

Did you build in the cylinder base leaks at 1/3 scale on the EVO? Just kidding of course.

I do wonder how you did the flywheel and rods on the V-twin. Is it a split crank?

Kenny

Hi Kenny,
Yes the rods are knife and fork and the crank is made in three pieces. As a matter of fact the entire engine is exactly as it's big brother including the scavenge and pressure oil pumps, electronic ignition and rockers to mention just a few parts. Oh, and by the way it does leak a little.
Regards,
Roger

Wow! I am in awe!! You have some superb models there!

BTW Welcome to the site. We are glad to have you here. Make yourself at home!

Hi Roger,

If I may ask another question.

What size is the screws on the cone? I know the standard size is 1/4-20.

Thanks

Kenny

Sorry about the long delay in getting back. I do not know what you mean by cone but the smallest bolt on any of my models is a 10-32. Most are much smaller. For example the bolt holding the air cleaner on the Evo engine is a 4-40.
Regards,
Roger

I am still working so I only have the week ends to play in my shop. I have about a year and a half in each engine working about 18 to 20 hours a week. I have cut back recently to about 8 to 10 hours a week end due to a classic car project and my current model has been on my bench for two years now. Probably another six months to completion.
Regards,
Roger

Thats cool you can stick to a project that long, I find if I let a project set for 2 weeks+ I tend to let it sit a while longer and never get after it like I do the first day or two.

Im Only 39 so I figure I have time to get some things done before a grab a bible and start studying for the final.

I want to build more engines and maybe a clock or two. My shop is very primative so thats going to be a project that will take a year or two more.

You guys are absolutly geniuses. I only hope to be half as skilled one day.

Bookmaker said:
RogerClockFront.jpg

Here is one I made.
Regards,
Roger

My goodness again, thats a work of art, I only wish to craft such a fine peice. You once again have shown the incredible talent of the membership here and all us folkes who dream of building masterpieces have a goal now.

Thank you. :)

Back