My Introduction...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willburrrr2003

Reaction score
Hello,

My name I Will, I live in Everett, WA. just north of Seattle. I was raised with encouragement to learn how things work, take stuff apart. My dad was always building, fabricating, or fixing something with me right there helping him. As a result I have what I think is a good mechanical aptitude. I am just finishing up conversion on my Harbor Freight 7x12 mini lathe to CNC. It is to the point now where it's gotten really cool, and this weekend I will be using it to make a spindle encoder for itself. This will allow me to do threading operations then I will be all set to start venturing down the road of home machining :D Of course right of the bat, I would love to design and build my own gas IC engine....but this is not going to happen ;D I have a lot to learn. I am comfortable with the concepts,and function of most parts in an engine, but to make them...and make them right I need to learn how to use my equipment properly. I will start basic, and my first build will be my rendition of a McCabes Runner. I will make the fly wheels, piston and valve rod on my lathe. I will take lots of pictures and videos along the way to share 8)

I am just getting my shop set up and organized. Moved my CNC mini lathe out into its room a few days ago, digging out my machinist tool boxes to get them all set up (they were my dads and I like that now I will be using them for what they were intended :D ) I have an old drill press in 2 parts that I will try and get going this weekend. I have a backyard aluminum foundry for doing sand casting that I built a few years ago ( though I need to make a new lid, the old one broke during the last move) Once I get a few engines under my belt, I would love to try casting an engine block and head complete with water jackets and oil passageways in the castings. I have my trusty portaband, my bench grinder, an assortment of tools, and this wonderful site to help guide me along with my projects.

Thanks for this great site, and all the hard work that you, your moderators and all these fine folks have put into their shared projects and informative postings :bow: :bow:

Regards,

Will R.

Strange coincidence...just posted my intro, and also live in everett! (Well, lake Stevens, work in everett)

Small world keeps getting smaller....maybe we should meet up some time :)

Will,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Will. Will be looking forward to seeing pictures of your shop, conversions, and projects.

Regards,
Bill

And another welcome to the forum. You can learn a lot here. Ask questions when you need to know something and post any tips you may have. We all like to learn.

ironman (Ray)

Will, Welcome to the party

Dave

Hi Will! and welcome to the forum, good luck with all your future projects.
Stew

Welcome to the forum Will. I like the idea of retrofit CNC.

Back