My First Steam Engine: The Minikin from Steam and Stirling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seal killer

Reaction score
All--

I have owned a mill for a couple of years and gone from ZERO knowledge to pretty well tooled up plus SOME knowledge. I have built a few things, mostly for the mill(!), and am looking forward to expanding my horizons.

My Dad built a steam engine when he was 14. It was an oscillator. I can remember it whizzing the flywheel as young as four. I imagine that steam engine is what determined my career in technology.

I bought a copy of Steam and Stirling and determined that the "Minikin" was the easiest engine in the book to build and the most like the one my Dad built. The editor, whom I think built the Minikin, as well, wrote the piece about it from the point of view of someone having a lathe and a mill. The lathe being somewhat predominant in the construction of the engine.

I don't have a lathe.

What I do have is a nice knee mill which I am very familiar using. I plan to emulate the lathe requirement in the construction article of the Minikin by using a left handed boring bar to turn a boss. (I will drill or bore the raw material prior to turning the boss. It seems better that way to this inexperienced non-machinist.)

There are many things I do not understand. For one, the editor says to "turn up a bushing to fit on the pivot." Other than a drawing, there is no other explanation. I THINK I can do this via reverse boring, especially since the bushing is so short. I am somewhat worried about using a carbide end mill in an interrupted cut in both brass and bronze (bronze: 932, brass: 360 and 464). My thinking is to take 0.001" off the square work piece and see how if feels and proceed from there. (?) I will mill the work piece down so there is a square "boss" protruding for reverse boring (turning).

My other departure from the article concerns the stainless steel piston. Since I have a large set of stainless steel dowel pins, I plan to use one of them cut to the proper length.

I certainly would appreciate any comments you care to make. I have no ego and criticism is a great learning tool.

Thanks!

--Bill

Bill:
Minikin was the second engine i started I think it was the third or forth I finished. It is a tweaky little engine to get running. My suggestion is start with something a little bigger

Like this one
http://npmccabe.tripod.com/mccaberunner.htm

or this one
http://littlemachineshop.com/Projects/OscillatingEngine.php

@ 10psi there will be about .49 lbs of force on the little piston of minikin' a 1/4 inch piston.
the Mcabe runner will have more than twice the force on the piston due to larger area of the piston .
The LMS Ocsilator will have almost two pounds of force on the piston or 4 times that of the minikin piston.
Bottom line is the fit and finish has to be excellent on the minikin due to small piston size and fly wheel diameter.
The LMS oscilator would be a lot more forgiving if there is a little friction or air loss there will still be power to keep things moving.
If you look around here you will find examples of the above engines made by members of the board.
Good luck with your first engine looking forward to seeing it completed.
Tin

Tin--

Wow! I REALLY like the second one. It looks very much like a scaled up Minikin. (I am not in love with the Minikin. It just looked like the easiest thing for me to build.) Plus, the instructions are written for a mill-based project, which I believe the Minikin could be, as well.

Thank you very much.

--Bill

Bill:
You can always do a minikin as a third project or even a second. I think building a couple of easier ones first will build your confidence and your skills.
Tin

Tin--

I totally agree with you. It is not the Minikin that I want to build, it is the easiest engine that will go back and forth and round and round that I want to build.

--Bill

shred--

Ha! Now I have returned to my normal state of indecision! :)

Thanks for the link!

--Bill

Ah, just pick one and go for it. You can have it made in a week or two and be on to the next one... At the end of the month you can pick the ones you liked best.
;D

Back