My first runner (oscillator)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mo deller

Reaction score
I can now join you happy band of people who have built and run an engine. I am interested in i/c mostly and joined this forum to learn more about them. What I did learn was how infectious other types can be. Also that I needed a simpler project to help me serve my apprentiship. So with oscillatoritis taking hold I found the drawings for Lucy. Not having any plastic the correct thickness I used what I had and came up with my own version in aluminium and steel. Not the prettiest or the best finished but a valuble exersize for me and a useful boost to actually complete something.
Not having a compressor I used a can of airbrush propellant. Not really expecting it to run but to my surprise away it went.

First a photo of the form tool I made to turn a couple of feet.
Oscillator1.jpg

A couple of side views
Oscillator2.jpg

Oscillator3.jpg

I hope to post a short video soon.

Peter

Congratulations Peter! Thm:
That first one is always the best.

Rick

Peter,

Congratulations. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Congratulations.
And thanks for showing the form tool.

That was the first time I've seen an airbrush propellant can hooked up (although I've heard tell about it).

Any idea what PSI you can get? Or how long it would last? I know time would be a function of engine requirements...but any reference would be good.

Thanks for the video.

Congratulations Peter,

You have a fine runner. Thm:

You have started a journey on a long slippery slope. It only gets worse.
You always remember the first one, but after 50 years of building I still get excited at the first run of any new engine. The excitement just does not seem to wear off. You are probably already thinking of your next one. If so then you fit right in the normal range for this group. :idea:

Gail in NM

Well Peter, your hooked now. There is no cure for what just happened to you. :( :(

Like Gail said, you will get the same feeling no matter how simple or how complicated your future engines get. ;D ;D

Nice one Peter ;) ........... yup, your hooked .............. looking forward to your IC thread ;D

CC

Peter,

Great job. Thm: Thm: Thm: I like the sound. It has a small lawn mower quality to it.

Bob

Very nice. If this is just your first, I'm sure we can expect some nice stuff in the future, too.

Congrats! There is nothing like having an engine you built run for the first time. Great job! :)

Good job, Peter. Looks like you have a great little runner on your hands!
Nice job on the base, too.

Dean

Well done Peter :) - And like other members said: now the bug has bitten, you're infected ;)

Arnold

Congratulations on a job well done,

I like the way it has been made from all white metal (least it looks to be that way)
Just my personal feelings, but I think it looks far better all in one colour,

I also appreciate the extra effort that went into the feet

Top Notch

PS: I will have to steal your Idea of 'Canned Air' as finding a compressor with a regulator to run mine on is nigh on impossible

Regards
Andy

nice little engine peter, as others have said the first is always the best and now that you have built a runner you are hooked.

just look at our own brian rupnow, he started out building an engine similar to yours and now he has a whole bunch of engines.

chuck

Latest posts

Back