My first IC-engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCopper

Reaction score
Hi guys, i've been digging through this forum far too long and have finally decided to build my own IC engine!

First of all, I would like to apologize for any mistakes I'll do, I'm from Germany and still learning English :)

My Grandfather has a workshop full of tools, including an old lathe and mill, and I'm learning how to work with them right now.

I have a vague idea of what my first engine should "look like" or more how he should overall be constructed, but there are many questions left!

I'm just gonna explain my ideas right now, if you have a suggestion of any kind, i would really appreciate it! After that I'm gonna ask a ton of question, if that's ok :) So let's go:

I would like to build an one-cylinder 4-stroke IC engine with either SOHC or OHV (whatever is easier, but OHV looks better IMO) that uses a reed switch and a magnet on the flywheel to trigger a standard spark plug over an ignition coil. There should

now the questions:
1. what material for cylinder, valves, piston and so on?
2. do i need piston rings? how many?
3. is around 4% (1:25) oil in the foul enough lubrication (also for valves, how can i lubricate the open crankshaft)
4. how much displacement/compression (i would like to build an engine between 20 and 50cc = ca. 1.2 to 3 cubic inches i think)
4.1 what rpm could such an engine reach/what power can it produce?
5. are there any plans out there? (i prefer metric scales :D)
6. ... hmm I think i forgot a few ... if I remember them, I'm gonna post again!

thanks so much for your help! I really admire all of your work!

You can start with the webster engine. Google for it & you can download the plans for free.

Barry

Hi!

Thank you very much for your fast answer!

Although I had something different in my head in the first place, the webster engine seems like a perfect beginner build for me ;D

Check out www.ridders.nu for some Metric engine plans. Good luck with your first IC engine. I am currently working on my first IC engine, the Kerzel Hit and Miss.

I actually discovered Jan Ridders page and youtube channel even before this forum. Especially his glass cylinder engines with graphite pistons are amazing to just look at. I'm a little bit afraid of his engines though because they seem more like art to me (also his plans cost a bit :rolleyes:)

Is it easily possible to craft an engine after a plan in imperial scale converted to metric scale or are the little errors that could occur a serius problem?

Hit & miss engines are a very interesting topic, too, but i'm more interested in the plain "old" 4 stroke :hDe:

Good night from Germany

Jan Ridders plans are free. All you need to do is email him a request and he will email you the plans. Converting plans to metric is fairly easy to do. The biggest issues are fastener sizes and stock material sizes.

Hi again!

I didn't know that they were free :confused:

Brian mentioned in his Atkinson Build thread (http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/brian-builds-atkinson-engine-18313/) , that he got the plans for a "donation" of about 10 dollars, and that was what I remembered :)
On his website he says that he will send them for free, though.

Just found your Kerzel build thread, definitely going to follow it ;D

With which engine did you win the Project of the Month?

Are there any other beginner engines like the webster, but upright?
(I'm also going to ask Jan Ridders for plans of his "Otto 4-Stroke"(http://ridders.nu/Webpaginas/pagina_otto_viertactmotor/otto_frameset.htm) which is very close to what i thought of in the first place)

I hope i can start building soon, but I have to finish my exams first an perhaps wait until it gets a bit hotter outside :fan:

greetings

You can start with the webster engine. Google for it & you can download the plans for free.

Barry

The Webster is a very forgiving IC Engine to build. This is the very first running
engine for me. The aeromodel engines can be very unforgiving. Thru building Webster,I went on to build the Rupnow Engine which ran very well.
Planning to build the Nemett-Lynx Engine. Now that I have some hands on experience.

IMG_2320.jpg

Jan ship all what you want for free , but he ask for a small donation for his work.

Hey :D

Thank you Gus, I'm definitely considering to build the Webster engine, but I want to do a little more research.

@Lawjit: That's totally reasonable! His models are very good.

Would it be easier to start off by making a stirling or flame eater engine, or is the Webster a good choice? I don't have much experience in milling ...

My only "problem" with the Webster engine is the imperial scale, I don't really trust in my converting skills, and I'm afraid of doing a mistake ...
Also my machines are metric and I can imagine parts better in metric scale and .. :D you get the point

Good night

I think that if you take a close look at Jan's website he does ask for a small donation to help keep his site running and for all of the work he puts into his projects and the plans he provides.---Brian

With which engine did you win the Project of the Month?

It was Elmer's Grasshopper steam engine. Finished thread can be found here. Have you thought of making a steam engine or two first and then moving up to IC? Steam engines are more forgiving for a beginner. I made six steam engines before attempting an IC engine. After my Kerzel is complete I will probably make another steam engine.

Hey :D

Thank you Gus, I'm definitely considering to build the Webster engine, but I want to do a little more research.

@Lawjit: That's totally reasonable! His models are very good.

Would it be easier to start off by making a stirling or flame eater engine, or is the Webster a good choice? I don't have much experience in milling ...

My only "problem" with the Webster engine is the imperial scale, I don't really trust in my converting skills, and I'm afraid of doing a mistake ...
Also my machines are metric and I can imagine parts better in metric scale and .. :D you get the point

Good night

No worry. You will do OK. I am ''Imperial'' too but can work with metric.
1'' = 25.4mm.

Good evening,

I already thought about starting with an easier build, but I'm - frankly said - just not interested in steam/air engines.
I might go with a flame-eater first, it seems to be a challenging build, but not as critical as an IC-engine.
by the way: it's just amazing how slow your grasshopper is able to turn :eek:

Gus, I did just realize that all of you who build one of ridders engine had to do the converting the other way round!
It might not be that "comfortable" but I'm shure it will work out.

John, as far as flame eaters go, they can be very difficult to get running as I'm currently finding out. As a first engine, they may put you off any future builds. I feel that it's better to go with an air powered engine first.

Paul.

John, as far as flame eaters go, they can be very difficult to get running as I'm currently finding out. As a first engine, they may put you off any future builds. I feel that it's better to go with an air powered engine first.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

This was the good reason why I shied away from such engines as they are very
deceiving easy to build but have very very unforgiving fits.But I have not given up yet. Will buy some books to read up.Please recommend.

It's Thursday and weekend just a day or two away. Tide times and tides look good. How was your flyfishing trip? I still have my flyrods.

Hi Gus, I think that Jan Ridders made some comments on his web site about getting flame lickers to run, I will have to have a look again. I don't have any other reading material about them.

Got back late this evening from the fishing trip, weather was sunny and 28 deg C, I managed to catch 2 rainbow trout, although small, all fish were catch and release. The only other fish caught was by one of my two friends that I went with, if he caught another one he could have had a sardine sandwich, it was that small. All up, we had a great day though, BBQ lunch with a beer and great company with nice scenery.

Paul.

Hi guys,

Thank you for all the comments, I was busy the last few days :(

Huh, so I really didn't think that flame eaters would be very critic to build, but now I'm going to take a step away from them - for now.

Which air powered engines would you recommend? I'm definitely taking them into consideration again ... sorry for my rapid changes of mind :wall:

Also is there a part you start with building like the cylinder or the fuel tank. Just an uncritic part to start with. Well the cylinder might not be uncritic :)

Good night from Germany

Back