My first engine!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chitownmachine

Reaction score
Hello all! I am new to machining, taking classes currently (decided time for a career change), but feel I have a knack for it. So heres my first try at the V-2 Kerzel engine. I want to re-do the cylinders, the groove tool I made was a lil left to be desired. A lil more work on the block to make it to the print. I would love to hear any suggestions you have along the way! Thanks!
1.jpg

Hello guy!

wEc1 to our forum, that now is your too!!!

Tell us a little about yourself and a lot about their projects at the welcome session.

Know that... th_wwp

Cheers,

Alexandre

Welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit more about your equipment and your experience. Always interested in listening to newcomers and why they are moving into model making. Me, I'm an electrical engineer who is addicted to learning new skills and new technology. Just got started in model making at 60! Can't stop!!!!

Paul

Well the equipment is all the schools. The mill i use is a Bridgeport with a 36" bed and the lathe is a huge Leblond with chucks that weigh like 60lbs! So its been a bit of a challenge working so small on such mondo equipment. I did just purchase a Taig micro II lathe with power feed! :) :) As for experience, well in the machining, its only a lil over a semesters worth of experience. But I have been into model making since I was a kid, but now can play with the grown up toys! I'm 30 and going back to school to be a electrical engineering technician (because my kinship with electricity and electronics), but am including metallurgy, machining, welding into my skill set. I basically want to learn everything about everything! I enjoy working small and am looking forward to see how far I can push my work and myself!

Chitownmachine , welcome to HMEM! Glad to have you with us!

Nice start on your V-2. Keep us posted on your progress!

Welcome Chito... - looks like you are off to a good start.

Oh yeah thats definitely part of the problem. The kinda "finished" cylinder is made of some zinc plated key stock...bad choice, but whats close. The second unfinished cylinder is 1018 and cut way better. The finish was decent, but that was due to a large tool (the schools) that wasn't the sharpest. I'm waiting for my Taig lathe to show up and i feel that the smaller equipetment and cutting tools will help the situation. Too bad its not here today, because its a beautiful snow day here in Chicago! :) Any thoughts and getting better finishes? Thanks a ton!

Your finishes look like mine did when I got starting a few months ago. My problem was mostly a poor tool - I was using a cheap carbide tool. After grinding a HSS tool, things started to get better quickly. Keep it sharp and approach the part with the front of the cutting tool only 5 or 10 degrees off of parallel. The cutting edge (corner) needs to have a small (1/32) radius or you will get lots of machining lines rather than a smooth clean surface. You will get the the hang of it with trial and error.

Good luck,

Paul

Welcome Chitown....as has been said, the correct material and sharp tools can really speed your progress along the learning curve. We've all been there before and learned the same lessons, sometimes the hard way!! :big: Just hang in there...there is a world of help here too.

Regards,
Bill

Latest posts

Back