My day as a foster mother

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
On one of my property lines, a huge old oak tree succumbed to disease over the winter. The particular fungus made the wood decay quickly, turning the tree into a "widow maker" with a bad habit of dropping large limbs to the ground. Since there are children next door, I scheduled a tree service to come in and take it down.

This morning the crew arrived, climbed the tree and began making cuts in preparation to fell the main trunk. One of the limbs was large and hollow landed hard and we heard small squeals. Upon investigation we discovered 3 very small baby squirrels. These guys were the youngest I've ever seen, having no hair and their eyes still closed. Surprisingly, they didn't seem to have suffered any injury from the fall, but were quite frightened.

I picked them up and held them in my hand until they calmed down and went to sleep. We then began watching the trees to try and spot their mom. After 6 hours, I'd just about given up hope that she had survived the event and was making arrangements with the local wildlife rescue volunteers to take them.

I picked one of the little fellows up and he began squealing. It was then that I noticed a squirrel making very rapid progress to the ground, where she began wildly running around the area where I'd picked the babies up, hours earlier. I eased over to the area and she darted up a tree as I laid the towel containing her family on the ground. I then walked back up to my deck to watch the reunion.

She gently picked each one up, rolled it over and over in her paws until it was a tiny ball and popped it in her mouth, before scurrying up a tree to what I now know is her back up nest. I was unaware they had them, but according to the wildlife lady, they commonly have at least one spare nest in case a storm destroys one.

So... a small family was reunited today and and a soft hearted old geezer has a smile of satisfaction to savor for the evening. Seems a baby anything can get next to me with little or no effort. I do have to admit it's a bit eerie with her sitting in her tree staring down at me this past half hour....LOL

Steve

Nice story. I see many bags of unsalted, unshelled, peanuts in your future. :D

Neat story, Steve. I love a happy ending!

We have tree and ground squirrels here. The ground squirrels are fat waddley things and make a
mess if they get into the shed. The tree squirrels are slim little athletes. Fun to watch, and they
really scold if you get too close to 'their' tree.
A friend of mine says tree squirrels are magic. He says, "Yeah, they're magic, all right. Did you ever
see one poop? They never leave droppings, no matter where they go... Magic!"

I dunno if they're magic, but it's true, I never saw one poop.

Dean

Great story, Steve. I'm another one that melts for little baby anythings.

Though, I have little sympathy for full grown squirrels. I've seen, and paid for, too much of the damage they can do to a house. We have an abundance of rabbits and squirrels in my little wooded corner, along with several fat hawks and owls. Every spring I have to scout out the baby bunnies for my wife (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!)

Steve

Great story and don't forget the peanuts. Mama squirrel sends hugs and kisses. Glad to see I'm not the only one with a soft spot for little critter's. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

deere_x475guy said:
Good Job, I have always felt you were a good person.

Steves going all gooey and soft in his old age, what's the betting he wears fluffy bunny slippers.

But when you look at it, I think I would be the same (without the slippers though).

Brings back memories of earlier times, sign on a bumper sticker.

PRESERVE WILDLIFE - pickle a squirrel today.

Bogs

Bogstandard said:
Steves going all gooey and soft in his old age, what's the betting he wears fluffy bunny slippers.

But when you look at it, I think I would be the same (without the slippers though).

Brings back memories of earlier times, sign on a bumper sticker.

PRESERVE WILDLIFE - pickle a squirrel today.

Bogs
Yea, I saw a news clipping about squirrel becoming popular in the UK the other day...

Cool story.

When I was a kid, we had a big house with always a lot of squirrels around (including flying squirrels-- I had one as a pet for a while). Anyway, one day there was a little squirrel (furry, but tiny) running around in the yard squeaking just like a dog squeaky-toy. It ran over to me and climbed up me like I was a tree. Then I noticed momma-squirrel not far away yelling and screeching. She didn't want anything to do with the human, but really wanted Junior back. She finally slowly got within arms-reach of me, yelling all the while, Junior decamped from my head and they both ran off up a tree.

No, no, John, you've got it all wrong. It's Zee who wears the fluffy bunny slippers with his tutu.

(Gag, I'm going to be seeing that image in my mind all day.)

mklotz said:
It's Zee who wears the fluffy bunny slippers with his tutu.

fluffy yes...but not with the tutu. That's just wrong.
bunny? No. That just doesn't seem right.

Here's another image for you Marv...think leotards.

And another thread goes into the toilet. :big:

I am man. Hear me squeak.

And another thread goes into the toilet.

Well, it was kind of squirrelly anyway. :)

There's a guy over on HSM who claims he runs his lathe in the nude when it's hot. Now, that's a scary image. One hot chip could REALLY spoil your day. Not to mention leaning a bit close to the leadscrew while threading.

Cedge said:
I do have to admit it's a bit eerie with her sitting in her tree staring down at me this past half hour

Keep an eye on your nuts.

mklotz said:
There's a guy over on HSM who claims he runs his lathe in the nude when it's hot. Now, that's a scary image. One hot chip could REALLY spoil your day. Not to mention leaning a bit close to the leadscrew while threading.

:big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big:

winklmj said:
Keep an eye on your nuts.
Gives a new meaning to the term "half-nut" ...

Ok, just gotta say it - just don't equip your lathe with new ball-screws ...

Rof} Rof} Rof} :hDe:

I'm sure there are LOTS more jokes in there :D

Things are getting a little squirrelly in hear.....

Latest posts

Back