My custom designed mill engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Butcher

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
After just finishing my beam engine project, I started to look again over the many available existing plans to make a choice for my next build. It was kind of like the story of the three bears; with an engine builder’s twist. This plan was too simple, that plan was too complicated, but I couldn’t find one that was just right. With a few ideas in my head I drew up a rough sketch of what I thought to be a good representation of a mill engine. I went about designing and machining this engine one part at a time to create the final result.

The construction of the supports for the crosshead guide, cylinder, and bronze bushed bearing blocks was a build up made from 1/8th sheet steel silver-brazed together. I would have preferred to have used all brass and bronze but I used the scrap materials I had available at the time. The cylinder and valve face were built up from bronze scraps and the piston machined from a scrap piece of cast iron. The flywheel was my first attempt at trying an unusual spoke arrangement. It was soldered together from individual pieces with a pressed on aluminum outer rim. The basic valve configuration was based upon information I read in a book written in the 1800’s. This was one of my first attempts at using my imagination to design and construct an engine. I consider it a successful build that runs well.
-MB

p1010531z.jpg

p1010533n.jpg

p1010534.jpg

p1010535r.jpg

p1010538f.jpg

Nice job MB. I like the many stylized parts. :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

Very nice but get rid of the number 10 button head screws. Use studs and hex nuts more authentic.

Latest posts

Back