Mrs Maryak's Mansion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phil and Stan,

Thank you both for contributing, I have learned a lot from your posts and they are anything other than a hi-jack of this thread. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Edit:- Just my luck our circuits are daisy chained although I prefer the more macho ganged together. ::) ::)

Hi all,

Another week and we have now have rainwater and the painting about 1/3 complete.

The rainwater tanks 1000l and pump which goes to the toilets.

IMG_0745.jpg

The paint colour.

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

See ya next week.

Best Regards
Bob

Can you tell us a bit about the rainwater tanks? Do you use the water to flush toilets?

They are not used here in the US, in fact I think plumbing rainwater into the house would be a code violation in most areas.

RonGinger said:
Can you tell us a bit about the rainwater tanks? Do you use the water to flush toilets?

They are not used here in the US, in fact I think plumbing rainwater into the house would be a code violation in most areas.
I read an article by a guy in Seattle a while back about plumbing his toilets with rainwater. I suspect he didn't bother with nicities like 'code', but the way he did it was plumbing the rain tank into the toilet tank via a 2-way valve-- set the valve to 'rainwater' until the tanks are empty, then switch over to 'tap'. Probably had some check valves in there too.

I'm interested in the 'official' setup too (not that we have near enough rain here though)

Ron and Shred,

Our code here, (in South Australia), mandates that all new houses shall have a rainwater tank which must be connected to the toilets as the primary source of flushing water. Optionally it may also be connected to the laundry for clothes washing. The system is fully automatic and uses a system of control valves to which the mains water and the tank water are connected and a separate submersible pump in the tank. If the tank is empty or there is no electrical power, the system reverts to mains flushing. There is also a backflow preventer to stop rainwater entering the potable water main via the pump when it is operating.

That's about all I know and it's a lot more than I knew before you asked about it. :eek:

Best Regards
Bob

Been a while since I posted here but really not much to show.

The painting is finished

The major appliances are installed but not all are connected yet.

I reckon we are 97% complete as far as the builder is concerned.

The proud owner showing off her new toys.

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Bob,

What did your wife do to her finger? ???

Nothing serious I hope?

Dave

Looking Good. Any prospective buyers on your current house?

Are using natural gas or propane fuel?

Dave,

Took a swipe at one of our cats, missed - hit the bench top and broke it :-[ :'( :-\. You would have been proud of me I didn't even smile. ;)

Natural Gas.

Stan,

A couple of nibbles but no contract yet. We have a few months up our sleeve.

Best Regards
Bob

Ouch :eek: not nice ................ bet the cat's not too popular at the present :D anyway the good thing is it doesn't seem to affected Mrs M's role as project manager.

Do the builders carry out the external landscaping Bob, or is that over to you scratch.gif ............ looking good though, any idea of a completion date yet.

CC

CrewCab said:
Ouch :eek: not nice ................ bet the cat's not too popular at the present :D anyway the good thing is it doesn't seem to affected Mrs M's role as project manager.

I'm absolutely sure pretty confident only a cataclysmic event of earth shattering proportions would detract Galina from project, husband
smiley-angelic004.gif
and cat management.
smiley-scared005.gif

CrewCab said:
Do the builders carry out the external landscaping Bob, or is that over to you scratch.gif ............ looking good though, any idea of a completion date yet.

Not the builders, but the estate developers, concreting of the driveway and front landscaping was included in the price of our land purchase. Our finish date is anticipated as 20th August.

Best Regards
Bob

Almost time to break out the Foster's. (why wait :big: ) What a terrific feeling it is to move into a new home. Everything is to your specifications and no one else's. I have followed with interest as I find the different building codes and materials used fascinating. Great looking home and hope the Mrs. heals up in a jiff.

BC1
Jim

Jim,

Thanks for following along. Believe it or Not, I'm not a Fosters fan. I like Hollandia which is a dutch beer imported to Oz and in 330ml bottles, (just as well as it's 5% alcohol, 6 of those and I'm anybody's ::))

Anyway, we had our walk through inspection with the building supervisor yesterday and it went very well. As you would expect there were a few minor things, such as tile sealing in a couple of spots and the TV connection surround the wrong colour etc. The main thing was he agreed with everything we said and advised it would all be corrected by next Friday, 28th August.

We take over the house at 3pm on that day in exchange for the final payment cheque. Yes it's getting exciting and this week I will assemble all the bits and pieces for laying the floating floor, installing the light fittings and putting up curtain rods.

The notices have gone to our neighbours regarding the boundary fencing and that should be able to commence around 14 Sep. We have also had discussions with the landscaping contractor and hopefully the front will also be prettied up during Sep.

We bought the land in July 2008 so 14 months from start to finish and 4 months of that was our design stage where I translated what we wanted into something the architects and engineers could work from.

Best Regards
Bob

Congratulations Bob, looks like a busy time ahead 8)

CC

Sounds Great Bob......Ok shop pictures now please!!!!!We want to see the new shop!

;D

Dave

Shop :bow: Shop :bow: Shop :bow: Shop :bow: Shop :bow: Shop :bow:

Come on please!?!??

CC, Dave and EB,

Thanks guys :bow:

There is no new shop.

My shop is in a 20' shipping container, as such it is transportable. When things have settled down I will be relocating it from it's current site to my daughters property, which is about 20 mins drive from our new home.

Relocate.jpg

The line length is 37.5 km.

Best Regards
Bob

Wow! When you put distance between you and the Mrs. you don't fool around do ya?
EB

enginebob said:
Wow! When you put distance between you and the Mrs. you don't fool around do ya?
EB

It's not so much a matter of distance as it is concentration. What I mean is when I'm home that has my full attention and when I'm in my shop that has my full attention. It works for us because we don't get annoyed at each other by "honey do interuptus" and the lack of response to same.

Being male I can only do one thing at once as I have been told on many occasions. This arrangement allows me to respond with, "Yes dear but look how well I do it!!!" ::) ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Back