Mrs Maryak's Mansion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as hammering on the laminate flooring to seat it, I used a scrap piece of flooring to avoid chipping. Also, my wife and I did it together, as it helps to have one person holding down the piece being installed while the other taps on it.

As for aligning the first row, in my garage appt. build I used a laser pointer to set it parallel to the wall, and then tacked it in place. Since Bob has a concrete subfloor this wouldn't work. I might consider gluing the first row, as those wedges are a PITA.

I haven't totally abandoned the idea of installing more hardwood in the house, but I will definitely never do tile again. :p

Bob: One other thought occurred to me on the way to bed last night. I have a squeak where I have a factory supplied moulding across the hall when I step on the moulding. For transition to other types of flooring, I used the metal mouldings used by the carpet layers. I put in drilled and countersunk holes for screws into the subfloor that did not penetrate the new floor board. The manufacturer of the material I used was very emphatic that it had to be free to expand and contract with humidity change.

Working on concrete is a different situation than on wooden subfloor and I am sure there are accepted methods of doing it. My only experience with concrete subfloor involved laying ceramic tile and it is ideal for that.

I had floating floor installed upstairs a few years ago but it was before the interlock type. The glue they used has since come loose and now it's a mess. I'm thinking about replacing it with the new "click" on type which seems to be better. For the "between room" joints they have a top/bottom piece that clips together in an H shape

Guys,

Thanks for all the tips and advice - VERY HELPFUL :bow: :bow:

2 people is ideal and my daughter has put her shoulder to the wheel when possible.

Finished the entry and am now tackling the utility passage which is a real PITA.

A belated picture of the extrusions.

IMG_0861.jpg

The front entry.

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

bob the floors are looking nice. How is the ryobi saw working for you . The only thing I have liked about ryoby tools is the price.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
bob the floors are looking nice. How is the ryobi saw working for you . The only thing I have liked about ryoby tools is the price.
Tin

Me too - So far so good. I have a good Bosch which I didn't want to burn out with the fine dust from the composite so this was my solution.

The utility passageway is finished and now its mostly hopefully fairly plain sailing in the main rooms.

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

A start in the lounge.

IMG_0868.jpg

I can't say how glad I am we did not have to move in straight away. Not only the floor but all the little things I am finding and having fixed before Mrs M arrives. Nothing serious but niggling all the same.

Today is "Honey Do" day and I am, (or my knees are), grateful for the break. Back at it tomorrow. ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Not only the floor but all the little things I am finding and having fixed before Mrs M arrives. Nothing serious but niggling all the same.

Just like buying Chinesse machine tools. The end user (buyer) is always a lot fussier than the builder. With the quality of your flooring work I'm sure Mrs M will be more than satisfied. If not, just casually say that you just replaced a tool that didn't work. ;D

Stan said:
The end user (buyer) is always a lot fussier than the builder. With the quality of your flooring work I'm sure Mrs M will be more than satisfied. If not, just casually say that you just replaced a tool that didn't work. ;D

Stan and Tin,

Thanks for the kind words and yes I am fussier than the builders - mind you IMHO being fussier than the builders is a very long way behind aiming for perfection. :eek: :eek:

As for the tool that didn't work - I value my life and my conjugal rights too much. ::) ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Bob,

The floors are look'n great...good job Thm:

Philly

Philly,

Yep, I've got the knee pads, but I still get kneemonia. As long as it's not dicktheria I guess I'm OK ::)

Thanks for the kind words.

Best Regards
Bob

gjn said:
Bob

Referring to the map it looks like your daughter's place is fairly close to us at Aberfoyle Park, which area is she in?

Rgds Gavin

Gavin,

Apologies for failing to answer your question. Louise is on Dashwood Gully Road about 1 km South of Kangarilla heading towards Meadows on the left.

Louloc.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Hi,

Well the lounge is finally finished. ;D At 25 m2 it is the second largest single area and its size was a sandwich short of a picnic which meant 4 boards was 30 mm short and 5 boards was 1165 mm too long. So starting with a 1/3 - 2/3 board, much cutting and alternating rows from back to front then front to back to minimise wastage. Next will be the smallest area to give me a break and a sense of achievement. ::)

Lounge Room

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

We won't see you for two weeks after you have the first party to break in that lounge.
Looks great. I am happy for you and Mrs. M.
Gail in NM

Gail,

Thanks for your continued support. :bow:

Yesterday we arrived with bucket mop and vacuum cleaner and set to cleaning the floors
wow.gif
. The amount of dust and other unknown extraneous bits was
mgeye-popping.gif

Galina's comments after we had finished were, "Now it feels like my home" and "When you do the other rooms, WIPE YOUR FEET when going from the garage to the house."

Ah.................matrimonial bliss ??? ??? ???

Best Regards
Bob

Bob, that is when it is nice to have the shop close by!!! ;D
Beautiful home though. When do you move in?

PPM,

Moving in will be at least another month, as we are still trying to sell our current home. We are in the process of changing agents, (Realtor), so who really knows.

Made a bit more progress with the floor.

The 3rd bedroom/study complete.

IMG_0881.jpg

A start on the main bedroom and walk in wardrobe.

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

Honey do and "rest" day today and I'm back into it on Thursday.

Best Regards
Bob

Hi,

The main bedroom and WIR are finished and I'm down to the last room.!!

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

The first curtains hung all made by Galina. Gives me some privacy in my temporary bedroom.

IMG_0891.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Yipee ;D

The floor is finished with bedroom 2 being the last room.

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

This past week has been spent putting up curtain rods and blinds.

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

Our fences and retaining wall are in the process of being erected and I am waiting for the landscaping man to finalise his plan for the front garden underground automatic irrigation system which, unbeknown to me was included in our land purchase contract.

Best Regards
Bob

Good going Bob - lovely job :)

And what a nice surprise with the irrigation system!

Kind Regards, Arnold

Back