Mrs Maryak's Mansion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maryak

Reaction score
Hi All,

Got the idea from kvom's very successful "Building It" topic and thought what a good idea, thanks kvom :bow:

I have mentioned elsewhere that we are building out retirement home. After endless months of design, negotiation and alteration. The land has been levelled and the trenches cut for the foundation slab. This will be poured at 07:00 on Thursday so I will be up at 0? sparrow fart to inspect the mesh, piping and membrane before the pour.

Here's what we have as of yesterday.

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Aldinga Beach 30km south of Adelaide.

I assume the trenches are to allow the in-slab heating piping. I've enjoyed having a warm garage the past 2 months. Now we are in warm weather, so the system will be dormant until winter.

What size is the slab?

kvom said:
I assume the trenches are to allow the in-slab heating piping. I've enjoyed having a warm garage the past 2 months. Now we are in warm weather, so the system will be dormant until winter.

What size is the slab?

Kvom,

The trenches form the piers in this design of raft and pier foundation. Many parts of greater Adelaide have reactive clay soils and the foundations are designed to accommodate this. I have seen piers up to 2x0.6 metres and priced accordingly. Our piers are only 0.6x0.3 metres due to one bore hole showing mildly reactive clay under the topsoil.

The total slab is 198 m2.

The only things under the slab are the pipes for black and gray water plus a stormwater outlet under the garage floor, the re-enforcing mesh and a waterproof membrane 100 mm below the surface.

Envy the build, but not the packing and moving Bob. Tell us (or the plan) more about the garage/ workshop plans. How big will be the most important room.......THE WORKSHOP.....be?

Bob, am I sensing another WIP here??? :big:

Cheers,
Phil

Metal Mickey said:
Envy the build, but not the packing and moving Bob. Tell us (or the plan) more about the garage/ workshop plans. How big will be the most important room.......THE WORKSHOP.....be?

Mike, you are absolutely spot on.

My workshop is a 20ft shipping container, which makes it semi portable. For now I intend to keep it in Port Adelaide. Later I plan on moving it to my daughters farm. She has 30 acres about 20 mins from our new home and I have already earmarked a spot close to one of her sheds which has power. Knowing Louise I will have to elbow her out of the way.
teeth.gif
She has already built a new kitchen and replaced the ceiling after having repaired the under floor heating for the first floor. She just likes doing things and has such a thirst for knowledge she has a teaching degree, a nursing degree and a Phd in Business Administration, she is charge at an intensive care unit here currently. Not to mention horses, sheep, chooks, dogs, cats a son and 2 stepsons and the obligatory husband to help?

A couple of other reasons, we don't have enough land left to put it on and it's not allowed under the estate encumbrances.

WShop_1.jpg

Workshop Inside.

000_0001.jpg

Philjoe5 said:
Bob, am I sensing another WIP here??? :big:

Cheers,
Phil

Phil,

There will be plenty of work in progress when the builders have finished. :mad: :mad: ;D ;D

Best Regards
Bob

View attachment Rossdaledims.pdf

Hi All,

This is how I spent most of yesterday. :eek:

07:00 - The re-enforcing, membrane and underfloor mesh in place and the underslab plumbing in place. The concrete pump is set up and waiting for the 1st concrete truck.

IMG_0292.jpg

Pouring/pumping in the mix.

IMG_0293.jpg

Floating the slab.

IMG_0298.jpg

14:15 - Finished. The guys worked this time without a proper break. :eek: As the boss said to me, "Concrete waits for nobody." ;D

IMG_0301.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Crikey Bob, thats some slad and some work! They seemed to have done you proud. I now know the reason for your latest engine build. Its to dry off the slab! :big:

kvom said:
How do all the Mexicans get to Oz to pour concrete?? ??? ;D

There's a hole in the fence!

Bernd said:
Maryak,

Is this standard for houses over there, no basements and if so, why?

Bernd
It's standard here in TX, which annoys me to no end (I want a good basement). Basically it's much cheaper construction and it never gets cold enough to freeze in-slab pipes and the connections to them.

Maryak,

Just saw your workshop. That's a great idea. As you say, tough to get it by most restrictive covenances and Home Owner's Associations, but good if you can find a place to put them.

Having your shop remote from the house can have other advantages. Keeps the spouse from sticking her head in the door with a "Honey, can you come help me for a minute"? ;)

Chuck

There are very few houses with basements over here, and those who do have 'em call 'em 'cellars'. Most you will find are in houses built in the latter half of the 19th century and were intended as cool rooms before the advent of refrigeration.

Bernd said:
Maryak,

Is this standard for houses over there, no basements and if so, why?

Bernd

Bernd,

I agree with Shred and Tel. The mid to late 19th century homes which have cellars, basements, or a hole in the ground under the house also have bloody great cracks due to the nature of the soil and the propensity this has for promoting salt damp. Today there are virtually no solid brick homes built locally since the late 1970's early 1980's and our footings/foundation design and construction is virtually standard in South Australia.

cfellows said:
Having your shop remote from the house can have other advantages. Keeps the spouse from sticking her head in the door with a "Honey, can you come help me for a minute"? ;)

Oh, How true ;D

tel said:
There are very few houses with basements over here, and those who do have 'em call 'em 'cellars'. Most you will find are in houses built in the latter half of the 19th century and were intended as cool rooms before the advent of refrigeration.

All the old pubs had them to keep the beer cool - important not to lose sight of this historically significant reason. ;) ;)

Best Regards
Bob

Metal Mickey said:
Crikey Bob, thats some slad and some work! They seemed to have done you proud. I now know the reason for your latest engine build. Its to dry off the slab! :big:

Mike, never thought of that - Good Call ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back