Moving a 310 lb. Shear/Brake/Roll

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobasaurusRex

Reaction score
I am interested in buying a used Harbor Freight 30" Shear/Brake/Slip Roll like this one:

<http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5907>

This thing weights about 310 pounds and I can probably only get 2 other people to help me get it into our small SUV.

Can this thing be disassembled without too much trouble to reduce its weight so we can move it more safely? I am assuming that the dies will come out without too much trouble, but I don't know how much weight that will save.

Thank you,

Rob

Rob you act like 300 lbs is heavy or something. And you have help.
Use you head not your back.
My first "Machine tool is was a horizontal band saw that probably goes over 300 lbs four guys loaded it into the back of our station wagon. My wife and I unloaded it with ramps.
I move 500lb blocks around by hand on a regular basis and move 1000 by hand on a wagon. A couple of planks a come along and some common sense will go a long way.
Tin

A two wheeled hand cart will allow you to move it real easy with one hand...once it's on the card. That's how I moved my lathe into my shop and it weighs 350 lbs. Then I used a come-alond to hoist it onto the bench. I'm a sick old SOB...it worked for me. That's no th_bs . I guess it depends on how wide this thing is too. Point of the matter is, let the wheels do the work. :big:

Tin's right use the head not the back. th_wav

Regards

Philly

I had one of those for about a day. First time I put a piece of 20 gage in it and discovered it wouldn't cut it I took it back. Take some of what you want to use it for to the store and try it out. It might just save you the trouble of moving it twice. -Mike

Strap it to one of these and you should make moving it easy

6e45a8a2-9bcc-4e08-a15d-1872eeb37e49_300.jpg

like philly said
Tin

Thanks for the advice, but I do not see how a hand cart is going to help me much.

This thing is not in a box. It is used and the current owner can't help because he already has a spinal injury. I've got to lift it down off his workbench, lift it into my wife's SUV and then lift it back out of the SUV. I don't think a hand cart or a moving dolly is going to help me do that.

I'm built like a tank but that doesn't mean I still can't pop a disc and I would feel awful if one of my friends got hurt helping me to move this thing. I haven't been able to see it yet so I am wondering how hard it would be to disassemble it into lighter pieces.

Rob

Having moved one of those twice there are two things I found out. They are very top heavy and an engine hoist with a sling makes it a one man job.

Kenny

RobasaurusRex said:
I haven't been able to see it yet so I am wondering how hard it would be to disassemble it into lighter pieces.

Rob

Rob,

I'd disassemble it. The machine doesn't look to complicated. If you have a digital camera take pics of the disassembly to help when you reassemble it. I would guess that it probably has metric fasteners, so metric wrench's are needed. I'd get myself a dolly to move the heavier parts to the van. And as Tin said a couple to heavy boards to slide the heavier parts into the van. Reverse procedure when you get it home.

I moved a 2000lb Bridgeport into the basement by myself so I figure a 300lb machine shouldn't be a problem for you with a couple of helpers and as they have said "use your brain and not your back", works wonders.

Regards,
Bernd

I just moved a 2000 lb. surface grinder. Broke it down into three pieces. We used ramps homemade dolly's and the hand cart was used for the heaviest piece of about 1000 lbs.

See http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=4505.0

there are other moves on this site

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=3051.0

I'm sure there are others all you have to do is look for them.

you may have to construck something for lifting if you must, by all means just save your back...it's the only one you've got.

Regards

Philly

Rob,
Go to the Grizzly site and get a parts breakdown

It all comes apart

ziploc bags for parts for each sub assembly and magic marker each bag

Rob:
The trick here is DO not lift any more than needed. Use tools levers wheels.Ramps etc. You could slide from a bench to a cart . from the cart to the van . from the van to a cart and then to a bench and never have it touch the ground.
Tin

I moved my 300kg mill into my shop last year. Rent/borrow an engine lift if you can get it in both locations. U-Haul has small utility trailers to rent that have a ramp on the back and are low enough that the engine lift can reach over the sides and place your machine in the middle of the trailer. Another suggestion, especially if you have an engine lift is to strap the machine to a pallet. It keeps the machine stable during transport and is a lot easier to slide around than the machine itself.. Above all Be careful - back injuries are painful, expensive and long lasting - besides you will never hear the end of it from SWMBO

Back