motorised mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

Reaction score
Hi

This has just been fitted to my X3 mill. A stepper motor driving the X axis. With over 400mm of travel its hard work winding the table back and forth, this makes life much easier and helps in giving a better finish to the work piece. Very precise control at the touch of a button. I can take no credit at all for build, that honour goes to my mate Julian (Barneydog) who is a bit of a whizz at electronics. The stepper motors we bought at a computer fair a couple of years ago, if memory serves me well they cost us 3 for £20.00. We bought 6 knowing they would come in handy one day. Fitting the motor to the mill was straightforward. The X3 conveniently has a slot in the end of the lead screw so I made a simple adapter to connect the motor to drive in this slot and a plate to mount thr motor on. The contol box has a knob with which to select one of six speeds, indicated by an LED. A switch to lock or free the motor. In the lock position the motor is electronically engaged. In the free position the motor is disengaged so that the table can be moved manually via the handwheel. The next switch is manual or run. In the run position pushing the button drives the motor continuously, in the manual position pushing the button advances the motor by one pulse which is a fraction of a thou so vey minute movements are easily achievable. The next switch is left and right which should need no explanation and finally the push button itself. Now that Julian has worked out how to control the motor the next obvious step is to fit 3 motors and computer control them. CNC. This little set up cost less than £50.00 to build. Here it is in action.

Anybody interested in how the electronics work will have to Lobby Julian, he will explain all.

Cheers

Rich

Very impressive Rich :bow: ................... I feel a "team build" coming on here if you can provide a few more details ;)

CC

That's awesome Rich! My X-3 and right arm NEEDS one of those.

I feel really stoopid though. I've been holding a really nifty geared power seat motor in one hand and the handwheel in the other trying to figger out how to graft them together. Never thought about putting it on the other end.

DICKEYBIRD said:
I've been holding a really nifty geared power seat motor in one hand and the handwheel in the other trying to figger out how to graft them together.

Hang on to those thoughts X2 / X3 etc ......... we also "need" to deal with a "Y" axis power drive ;) ....... and putting the motor on t'other end ain't an option ???

CC

Hi Rich

What a great bit of work, as you say we need to lobby julian as i would love to have the details.
LOBBY LOBBY LOBBY LOBBY

Kind regards

Malcolm

I am currently working on a bolt on kit for the X3 X axis with a simple controller.
The only problem is the kit is fine but the controller can't be sold as a completed item because of the CE hurdle.
Probably it will have to be sold as a kit and assembled at home.

I was hoping to have it at the Midlands show but it won't be there because of pressure of work and the CNC's taking centre stage.

Rich
Something you might want consider. When I put the commercially available power feed on my SX3, I promptly managed to fry the circuit board. Don't ask....LOL... it had to do with an errant screwdriver letting all the magic smoke escape.

Long story short, I bought a second power feed to get things going, figuring I'd ship the old board off to Uncle Rabid for repairs. However before I got it shipped, it dawned on me that the second motor would make an excellent replacement for the small X2 power feed unit I was using to drive the lead screw on my lathe. Using an independent variable speed drive while turning is a real treat all unto itself.

I downloaded the wiring diagram and used it to split the safety circuit and the motor control so that the single controller could run both motors, one on the lathe and the other on the mill. Since only one motor at a time would ever be running, there was no danger to the circuit board. Now, both machines have variable speed control and plenty of torque, since the motors are the same ones used on the micro mills. I mounted the controller on the front of my lathe where it is convenient to reach when running either machine.

Thats what we call a two-fer around these parts....(grin)

Steve

Hi

I have been making the casing for the boiler project today and have been using the power drive a lot. It certainly takes a lot of the hard work out of the job.
Heres a bit of video.

Cheers

Rich

DICKEYBIRD said:
That's awesome Rich! My X-3 and right arm NEEDS one of those.

I feel really stoopid though. I've been holding a really nifty geared power seat motor in one hand and the handwheel in the other trying to figger out how to graft them together. Never thought about putting it on the other end.

Dunno if they'll be of any help, but there's a few pics of my windscreen wiper motor set up here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95582559@N00/sets/72157594555315453/

Sorry Rich if this is going to pee on your parade, and Julian had better take a real back seat on this one despite "it does what it says on the tin", when you've cleared all the garlands and flowers from round your machine, you should switch everything off, get one or two books on engineering practiceand have a good long read. I know you're self teaching on your machining practices but in the best interests of your loved ones you need to step back and start counting. Only cats are reputed to have nine lives and yes, it's ANOTHER Safety lecture.
When I questioned your design basis for "O" ring size groove dimensions, I was jumped on for not wet nursing you to tell you where to find the said info, we got the "tin" crap on that one and also their use as a safety valve seal cos "That's what it's got on my compressor" Trouble is, heat and steam make a BIT of a difference - HOT rather than cold. Right, todays' tirade,and newbies pin yer lugs back, your clamping arrangement in the video is downright bloody dangerous, and no Julian, I'm NOT going to tell him why, suffice to say that if I'd done it as an apprentice, I'd have got a serious ar4e kicking for not using my common sense.
The safety aspect seems to be a ME thing. Perhaps we should have another thread with photo's of "Look how I damaged myself today"
Regards Ian.

Circlip said:
Sorry Rich if this is going to pee on your parade, and Julian had better take a real back seat on this one despite "it does what it says on the tin", when you've cleared all the garlands and flowers from round your machine, you should switch everything off, get one or two books on engineering practiceand have a good long read. I know you're self teaching on your machining practices but in the best interests of your loved ones you need to step back and start counting. Only cats are reputed to have nine lives and yes, it's ANOTHER Safety lecture.
When I questioned your design basis for "O" ring size groove dimensions, I was jumped on for not wet nursing you to tell you where to find the said info, we got the "tin" crap on that one and also their use as a safety valve seal cos "That's what it's got on my compressor" Trouble is, heat and steam make a BIT of a difference - HOT rather than cold. Right, todays' tirade,and newbies pin yer lugs back, your clamping arrangement in the video is downright bloody dangerous, and no Julian, I'm NOT going to tell him why, suffice to say that if I'd done it as an apprentice, I'd have got a serious ar4e kicking for not using my common sense.
The safety aspect seems to be a ME thing. Perhaps we should have another thread with photo's of "Look how I damaged myself today"
Regards Ian.

Or perhaps a thread on the importance of diplomacy when trying to get your point accross?

Is there an ignore button on this forum?

Maybe i'm just a dumb old soldier but when i served we had a rule, if you wont or cant explain your complaint dont bother complaining. ( made polite for the folks here)

I am a newbie to machines in lots of ways , monkey see, monkey do, thats me

i've learned from watching others and learned bad as well as good

i am happy to be told i do wrong as long as the right way is explained, as i know i am a dummy compared to some. ( most here)

i do not see anything wrong with the video and it took a hour to get it all to watch it
then i watched it a few times

i still see nothing wrong

can someone explain if it is wrong and why ?

i thought his clamping a lot better than my own ( true! ) i would not do it that way for deep cuts but for light edge trimming it looked ok to me, but i dont do much on sheet with a mill so i may be wrong ( probably but hey thats me too)

otherwise Firebird congrats on the power drive. wish i had similar.. ( another task to save for , i swear you guys will keep me broke via idea's for the next 20 years)

cheers

jack

Sorry, ???

Just watched the video and given the size of the machine, depth and volume of cut I can't see anything dangerous.

Probably not as I would have done it but still secure enough to get the job done.

Twinsquirrel said:
Or perhaps a thread on the importance of diplomacy when trying to get your point across?
Ditto. Perhaps Circlip should switch everything off, get one or two books on mentoring practice and have a good long read.

Mentor = "One who serves as a teacher or trusted counselor." Not one who berates another in front of his peers! One doesn't get to do that unless the "beratee" is on one's payroll.;)

I'm guessing the fault Circlip is referring to is the chunk of MDF Rich has his aluminum plates clamped onto. Technically, a bit iffy but with the small endmill and the light cuts it worked fine.

I'm self taught in machining too but my manners around a group of friends were taught to me by example by my parents. OK, enough of that; back to the shop. ;D

Firstly, sincere apologies to Rich and all others who may or have been offended by my posting of a knee jerk reaction in the interests of safety, this is after all a hobby. After being involved for nearly fifty years in the engineering trade, from slave status to Works Manager, my Mentoring skills have been developed to cater for all levels of ability from raw recruit to semi genius,to ensure that anyone working with or for me goes home with ALL their bits intact, cos if there's a chance they don't, it's not their fault for doing it wrong, it's mine for not explaining it properly.
Notwithstanding, It's up to the acolytes to use a bit of their own greys, not only for self satisfaction in achievement (if that floats yer boat) but also for alternatives. Yes, a bu**er to teach, but an earned (not demanded) respect, from all who have worked with me.
OK. now the explanation. The clue (?) was clamping. Only John, (but sorry to disagree with you on this one) picked upon this. It may have been adequate for this operation, but cos you've got away with it in this application, doesn't make it safe. Chip/particle board, why not? although I prefer MDF or HDF, a bit denser, no, it's the position of the clamping bolts in relation to the nipping point on the job, and I'm sure that shorter clamps came with the boxed set? One of today's problems, If all else fails RTFM. trouble is ours BITES, so while everyone else is watching the daisies grow, keep an eye out for the tiger in the grass.
Regards Ian.

Hi

I agree that safety in the workshop is paramount. Like many others on this forum, I do not have an engineering background/training so do what I think is safe with the equipment available. If I am not sure about something I post a question and always get an answer from you guys. I would hate to think that anyone has come unstuck by following what I have done so if you see me make an error of judgement then shout up loud and clear, HEY RICH, YOU DON'T WANNA DO THAT, THIS IS THE WAY TO DO IT, So that others may see immediately any pitfalls. To that end I (and Julian) will make no further posts on this topic or any other topic we have started (including my current small boiler project where safety has been raised) if the administrators think that best.

Cheers

Rich

firebird said:
To that end I (and Julian) will make no further posts on this topic or any other topic we have started (including my current small boiler project where safety has been raised) if the administrators think that best.
Rich & Julian, personally I have found your posts to be very well written, photographed and motivational.

Please, ya'll (I'm a southern boy) don't need to change your posting habits because of a couple of safety warnings. That (IMHO) is what this forum is about and what makes it so great....sharing, learning, teaching and having fun. Thank goodness we have some experienced professionals here to share their wisdom and keep us on our toes when we do something that could hurt us.

Ian, let me be the 1st to thank you for responding in a positive manner...you da' man! ;D

Milton

Much kudos Ian, I apologise for my response to your post also, we really must learn to calm down ;D It's so easy to read/see something and make an immediate and possibly ill judged response in real life not to mention here where the subtleties of a well meaning post can be easily missed..

It's so nice to be amongst grown ups.

David

Ian...
I understand your safety concerns and once you pointed out there was a problem, it only took a few moments for me to spot your concern. However, I was appalled that you would refuse to point it out and help him correct the issue. That was an even more dangerous and derelict act.

Yes.... I jumped you in another thread about attitude and will do so again when it rears it's ugly head. Your extensive knowledge is a strong asset to this board... but only if you'll share it. You need to keep it formost in your mind that this is indeed a wet nursing zone. I too trained new guys for many years. Personally, I'd have fired you on the spot and then raced with you to the personnel office for talking to one of them in the way you've posted to the last couple of newbie questions.

We're not standing right there beside an apprentice where we can step in and stop things when things go dangerously pear shaped. It's our obligation to take the time to share the hows and whys. This board IS dedicated to sending the newbies and the old hands to their beds with everything intact. I hope you'll add to that effort in a more user friendly manner. If not... I hope you'll migrate to a board where it's accepted. This one is won't.

Steve
A surgeon friend once described his easiest operation. The patient had only two moving parts.... a rectum and lips.... both were interchangeable.

Latest posts

Back