motorised mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I'd fully covered it in reply No15 Steve. And yes, I can categorically assure you it will never happen again.
Regards Ian.

DICKEYBIRD said:
Thanks Tel! Much food for though there. I've saved your pics for later use.:)

Do you have any pics of the clutch mechanism?

No, I don't, but it's really a pretty simple affair, I could probably do a sketch or two for you later in the week - as long as you can read 'rough'.

Thanks again Tel. Yep, I 'm fluent in paper towel, table napkin, box top and human palm. Not good on bog roll though.;)

DICKEYBIRD said:
Thanks again Tel. Yep, I 'm fluent in paper towel, table napkin, box top and human palm. Not good on bog roll though.;)

Use both sides first ;)

Hi Guys,

I'm not using specific names to protect the innocent but please stick to the topic on a thread. It seems that all that happens here now is that all threads go off at a tangent rather than keeping to topic. This thread as to show a simple gadget that really works and the makes the milling operation easier and better. It included photos and video to help explain things. This was not a signal for assassination, open-warfare or "have-a-go". It was intended to "SHARE INFORMATION" which is what a forum like this is for. The practise of looking in the background of the pics for faults seem to be a favoured pastime among a small few who then treat it out of all proportion. I remember in the past on this forum someone was thrown off because of the way he supposedly treated others of lesser knowledge. The attack in this topic is in my opinion is far far worse and needs to be dealt with.

I agree that safety is paramount but it does not need to be rammed down everyones throats at every oportunity in sometimes patronising 'talk to the children' ways. I am an adult who works in a safety critical role in an environment most of you would not dream of stepping into....would you stop your car on the motorway and walk amongst the moving traffic.....I thought not!

As Rich has said we will not be posting here on any of our topics again. If we decide to post anything else there will be no photos and no videos. Why put something there to be shot at? When I joined this forum I thought it was an excellent breath of fresh air because everyone was treating each other with respect, taking time to explain what they said and shared many good ideas, suggestions and gave and received critisism with decorum and good feeling not like some of the other forums that were around (most gone now) where there was none of this. Because this element is creeping in on this forum in the form of some of the caustic, unhelpful, almost abusive,bulls**t, attacking threads being made I do not feel like sharing anymore for the moment.

As you may have gathered not happy!!
Enough said!!....Adios.

Julian.

Julian, Rich ........... I for one will be disappointed if you don't continue with your interesting and informative posts, as I'm sure will many others.

As for the post in question, I agree it was out of order but an apology and explanation quickly followed, so; I would like to draw a line under this now in order that we all can get back to maintaining the civil atmosphere this forum is renown for.

CC

Hi All
I have been keenly following this thread as it is as usual very interesting and very well written, it is unfortunate that things went a little awry, But please gentlemen we all have bad days occasionally, sometimes we say something we re-read later and wish we expressed ourselves a little better, we are after all only blokes as my girlfriend frequently reminds me ;) we are also able to forgive and forget, put it behind us e.t.c. it would be very unfortunate if as a result of this incident we lost the postings of people who have contributed nice work. please gentlemen forget a bad day, we all have them and it hasn't been as tragic as some things we have in our world.
Please keep posting.

Just my thoughts i hope i haven't offended anyone.

Kind regards to you all

Malcolm

OK guys lets all be adult and play nice. I was hoping things were resolved.
I see some very valid points here and I will Address them in no particular order.
Safety is of paramount concern here.
Treating each other with respect is also a requirement of this board.
MR Circlip
I appreciate your concern for safety and every one having all there fingers left at the end of the day. With all the people experience you have you should be able to express these concerns with respect , tact and diplomacy. And as cedge pointed out so well, use it as a teaching moment and show us a better way.
Also If one apologizes then goes on to explain and defend themselves human nature finds it very hard to see the apology.

As far as off topic posts, guys lets not get off track on the model making stuff here. Perhaps the comments were intended to make things take a lighter note ?
Julian & Rich hang in there and settle down lets not turn this into an open battle and lose your composure. And yes keep posting.
This board is supposed to be and WILL be different.
This is hobby board we are all here to have fun and learn.
It is not fun to feel jumped on it is hard to learn if one feel jumped on . Petty squabbles and bickering are not fun.
I will say this once play nice gentlemen !!!
I do not want to have to pm or e-mail anyone explaining the facts of life or rules of this board or take any one behind the proverbial wood shed.
Tin Falcon
Co-Administrator

Moving right along .....

Here's a couple of shots of the early development of the clutch - a temporary one that I put in just to make sure everything was working

Disengaged
powerfeed4.jpg

Engaged

powerfeed3.jpg

And here we are starting work on the 'real' clutch head - milling the slot that engages the cut-off crank are on the motor unit. This replaces the hi tech cap screws used in the lash up. ;)

powerfeed5.jpg

I'll see if I can take the top cover off and get a shot of the sliding arrangement a bit later, stay tuned

Still watching?Good! Here is the clutch in the disengaged position. That spring attaches to a point directly behind the lever's pivot point - to a bracket mounted on the cover. A pin in the lever rides in a slot cut in the clutch head.
clutch2.jpg

Engaged

clutch1.jpg

very nice Tel

a ripper mate!

more ideas,

sheeesh

cheers

jack

I know the feelin' mate - I bin stuck in 'tooling' mode most of this year.

Think I'm kicking the habit tho' - I'm tossing around some ideas for these bits

parts.jpg

Very slick Tel. Clever stuff. Thanks a bunch for the pictures! ;D More questions though:

1) You mentioned earlier that yours has 2 speeds. It's a 2 speed wiper motor right? I'm using a worm gear equipped power seat motor which is single speed. The speed looks about right to me but I may have to rig a simple speed control of some sort. It seems to have plenty of torque to do the job. I need to do some loaded current draw tests though; I'm hoping to power it with an old PC power supply.

2) How does the shaft on the right side connect to the leadscrew and does it run in a bearing?

3) Anyone have any idea why they call it a "dog" clutch. Bark, bark! (Down Fido!)

DICKEYBIRD said:
Anyone have any idea why they call it a "dog" clutch.

My guess would be as it has driving dogs as opposed to a friction clutch which doesn't.

Pure conjecture.

Al

DICKEYBIRD said:
Very slick Tel. Clever stuff. Thanks a bunch for the pictures! ;D More questions though:

1) You mentioned earlier that yours has 2 speeds. It's a 2 speed wiper motor right? I'm using a worm gear equipped power seat motor which is single speed. The speed looks about right to me but I may have to rig a simple speed control of some sort. It seems to have plenty of torque to do the job. I need to do some loaded current draw tests though; I'm hoping to power it with an old PC power supply.

2) How does the shaft on the right side connect to the leadscrew and does it run in a bearing?

3) Anyone have any idea why they call it a "dog" clutch. Bark, bark! (Down Fido!)

1. Yep, it's a twp speed wiper motor - I did jot the table travel figures down somewhere, but can't lay me 'ands on 'em just now. The PC power supply was my first thought (early tests were done with a battery charger) but then the PS in the pics came up on ebay for $20. ;D

2. The shaft on the X2 has a slotted end, presumably for just that purpose. All I did was bore out a collar to fit over that shaft and the clutch shaft and put a pin thru' it. The sub-shaft runs in a bronze bush set into that thick plate that bolts to the table end.

3. Woof - I think Al has handled that one.

DICKEYBIRD said:

Dickeybird.
I used a PWM-controller(Pulse With Modulation) to control the speed on my Rung Fu mill, it works well :) plenty power and speed. And I used a solution like Tel have for the motor/clutch assembly. ;D
CS

Tel
I've been sitting looking at two wiper motors in my shed for about two years. :-\
AWAY WE GO.
PS Used to be three but one turned into a BBQ rotisserie.
BR

love it Tel

but how do you swing reverse?

do you change polarity or is there a easier way?

cheers

jack

( already found a wiper motor this morning in a dumped wreck down the road)

Hi Jack
an answer to your question regarding reverse would be a simple changeover switch which reverses the polarity to the motor, assuming it's a DC motor.

Kind regards

Malcolm

Latest posts

Back