Quantcast

Modified Henry Ford Engine

Help Support HMEM:

Kpar

Kpar
Reaction score
Well I finally got my engine to run a lot better. My first attempt was not a great success
and I had a few failures.
1. I could never get the drip feed to work properly
2. made several exhaust valves & ended up with a cage setup in the plumbing tap.
3. After making a simple mixer & air choke, the engine got faster & faster and eventually threw the flywheel off.
Flew out of the shed and into the house brick wall. Also the conrod anchor bolt on the crankshaft let go and just missed my 1933 Ford.
Lesson learned so carried out some mods.
Very pleased as this is my first attempt without much machining knowledge.
Would like some input on controlling speed and temp (maybe heatsink)
Took me ages to post on Youtube ?.
Kpar

dsage

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Do you really want to keep modifying it? Eventually it won't look like "the real thing".
I just run mine for short periods of time at slow speeds and accept it for what it is. A prototype engine. I don't think it was ever intended to do any more than demonstrate a concept.
Just my take on it.

EDIT: I guess you did title this thread a "Modified". So I guess that's your aim.
Perhaps a sleeve with fins cut into it slipped over the cylinder would keep it cool(er). Or a water jacket and a convection tank off to the side.
The speed can be reduced just by feeding it less fuel. Maybe a smaller orifice or needle or whatever is used to control the fuel now.

BTW. Very nice job.

Last edited:

Tom 1948

Reaction score
Congratulations, my first attempt was not successful. I put it up and moved on to other things. I am going to tackle it again. I will not let it beat me down. As others have said , they can be tricky. Your build looks great. Did you stuff the combustion chamber to increase compression?

Kpar

Kpar
Reaction score
Congratulations, my first attempt was not successful. I put it up and moved on to other things. I am going to tackle it again. I will not let it beat me down. As others have said , they can be tricky. Your build looks great. Did you stuff the combustion chamber to increase compression?
Yes Tom I increased the length of the end bung and also a stronger return spring on the exhaust vale which increased the seating of the valve.
Kpar

Kpar

Kpar
Reaction score
Do you really want to keep modifying it? Eventually it won't look like "the real thing".
I just run mine for short periods of time at slow speeds and accept it for what it is. A prototype engine. I don't think it was ever intended to do any more than demonstrate a concept.
Just my take on it.

EDIT: I guess you did title this thread a "Modified". So I guess that's your aim.
Perhaps a sleeve with fins cut into it slipped over the cylinder would keep it cool(er). Or a water jacket and a convection tank off to the side.
The speed can be reduced just by feeding it less fuel. Maybe a smaller orifice or needle or whatever is used to control the fuel now.

BTW. Very nice job.
Thanks dsage, I am going to leave it as is & maybe add a small generator to light a bulb.
My next project will hopefully be a smaller copy as I did see some time back by another member (?) with a "Plumbing Parts Engine"
Unable to find any drawings but me, I just machine bits to fit & design as I build. I've always had problems reading plans.
Kpar

Latest posts