Plumbing Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kpar

Kpar
Reaction score
Well it's been a while since I've posted & not sure if I posted my engine.
This was my first attempt at learning to use a mill & lathe.
the engine ran ok but had a lot of trouble with the drip feed fuel. I decided to change it to a mixture screw.
It ran great the only problem it got faster & faster and threw the flywheel off.
What I'm asking is "do I only need a mixture screw and choke to control speed or do I need a butterfly ??.

Kpa

Leon Ridenour, has the plans and build video only a few bucks.
Search Henry Fords first engine on this forum and you should get a lot of info.
Kpar

You don't need a choke. You can choke the engine by placing your finger over the intake of the carburetor while cranking it. A needle valve controls whether the mixture is rich or lean, but doesn't really control the speed a lot. If you want to control the speed of the engine, you need a butterfly in the carburetor. the link will take you to plans for a carburetor with a butterfly to control the speed.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4hgamd0f77j711m/JAG_CARBURETOR_IN_INCHES.zip/file

Nicely done Henry Ford engine! I’m about 1/2 way through my own version that’s also based on Mr. Leon Ridenour’s plans. I’ve made a couple changes to make it a bit more like Henry’s original, but haven’t deviated too much from Leon’s great plan set.

As this will be my first IC engine, I’m looking forward to posting the running video when I finally get it completed!

John W

Back