Model Compressor---Maybe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some good news this evening.--The J.B. Weld has set up sufficiently that I was able to give the compressor a test spin by hand this evening, and both of the new valves are operating as I had hoped. Now as the pistons move in the cylinder, they are pumping air no matter which way they are travelling. This should effectively almost double the volume of air pumped for every 360 degrees of shaft rotation.

SUCCESS!!!! Today I finished the second set of valves on the model compressor so it would be double acting and proceeded to make a video of it blowing up a balloon and bursting it. I used my Rockerblock engine this time, because it has a slightly larger pulley on it than my overhead cam engine. In the first video, the balloon got bigger, and bigger, and bigger but refused to pop, and I figured anybody watching might go to sleep before it burst, so the first video link is a technical fail.--Second time around, I set up the tripod for my digital camera, put a new balloon in place, opened my office door so I wouldn't gas myself, and started the engine and then got out of the way and let it run. Great success with the second video!! You can see that I was able to use an o-ring drive belt and avoid buying a costly timing belt drive set-up or using a sprocket and chain that would have been to big for the job. You will see however that it's right on the ragged edge--the pulley actually stops and the belt drive slips momentarily during each revolution.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_iqt3ecAZc[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTBajAJrRnU[/ame]

Waay to go :thumbup:

Here's a thought :
An IC engine is also a kind of compressor .
Why not connect the exhaust of the engine to the intake manifold of the compressor , and see if it makes a difference .

Pat

Won't work on a positive displacement compressor. Too much back pressure for engine to run correctly.

Yes I know backpressure could and most likely will be an issue .
Most certainly on a two stroke , possably less on a four stroke .

And the balloon pressure should be no more then a few fractions over
atmosferic .
So , who knows .... worth giving it a go ?

i recall a kit for old farmall tractors where you pulled out a spark plug and screwed in an air hose so that you could inflate a tire. this kit was for a super A I believe that's a c113 engine 4 cylinder. wonder in scaled down version how much pressure could be achieved doing that?

hate to take a way from Brians original thread here. wonderfull machine you have made. I like it.

Sparkplug pumps were a pretty common automobile accessory in the 1950's. My first air compressor was an old 1 cylinder Briggs with a sparkplug pump driven by a washing machine motor.

I still have one in my shed, although the rubber hose has perished quite a bit over the years so it probably wouldn't work any more. Still can't bring myself to throw it away though, it might come in handy for something...

Latest posts

Back