mini ice cream maker castings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob shutt

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I seen castings for a miniature ice cream maker casting at NAMES. Does anyone know where I can get a set?

Last edited:
I think those were my castings. I made 6 sets and sold 5 at NAMES and Cabin Fever. That was a project I did with a friend, but he died just before Cabin Fever, so it kind of put the dampener on me. He was working on a source for wood buckets.

I still have the rubber molds for the investment castings and I think I could have another batch made. I guess if there is a demand I could get some made. They were very nice castings, but it was tricky to make the SS tank.

Hi Ron,
I just finished the lil brother hit n miss and everyone wants to know where is the ice cream. I really would like to get a set of castings. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Thanks
bob [email protected]

Any chance you could post a picture or two of what it looked like? Sounds interesting.

Thanks!

Ron, If you get a set made up I might be interested too. sorry to hear about your friend.

Mike

Ron,
I would also be interested in a set, possibly 2. I missed seeing those at NAMES. Must have been a year that I wasn't there. I don't make it every year. I could probably make the wooden bucket if I had the dimensions. Could the can also be fabricated? Would also like to see a picture.

Larry Hoke

Here is the engine I plan on using to make Ice cream

DSCI0041.jpg

Ok, I finally got off my duff and took some photos.

First here is a shot of the original model my friend found.

RS_DSCN0495.JPG

Next a few of my model and the castings.

RS_IMG_0386.JPG

RS_IMG_0387.JPG

RS_IMG_0388.JPG

RS_IMG_0389.JPG

RS_IMG_0390.JPG

As you see I made the bucket from a tin can- this really ought to be a better metal can. Also my wood bucket is to small by about 1/2" diameter. Note how the top arm over hangs the side a bit.

I will try to talk to the foundry this week and see if I can still get them made for a reasonable price.

Hi Ron,
Exactly what I am looking for. Is the can a campbells soup can? What is the size the bucket needs to be at the top? Thanks Bob

Ok, I have shipped the molds to a foundry and asked for an estimate. I was warned that the old foundry I used didnt exist anymore because they charged to little for their work. This place expects to stay in business, so the price will be more. The last batch was $150 per set.

I know Bob wants a set, are there any others? I will only do this if the price can be no more than $200. I expect it will be a few days before I get the price quote.

Ron, if you have the molds for making the wax patterns, I have everything else and cast every other weekend....

I do have the molds- well, right now they are in the mail to the foundry. I will see what comes back when they get them and send me an estimate.

If his prices are to high I will get back to you.

Do you do this as a hobby or a business?

I got the molds back from the foundry with a one line note- "this is not a cost effective job"

Looks like he doesn't want to fool with hard parts. The old guy I used would do it, but this shop has more productive things to do with their time.

I have no more foundries to try. The molds are the not rubber process and many modern foundries dont want to fool with them. They are also some rather large pieces, and the main top frame must be cast nice and flat.

Aonemarine if you want to contact me by PM we can talk about it and see if you think you can do this.

Ron, hard to explain if I'm a hobbiest, or a business, or what. I cast parts for a couple of businesses on a regular basis, mostly small investment cast items. If you want to deal with me directly that's fine, but if you would rather go thru a business I can refer you to them and ill still be the one doing the castings. LOL.. My main concern would be the thickness of the parts at the greatest cross section due to wax shrinkage. Dreeves and cheapo have seen my casting set up, its nothing fancy but gets the job done. I'll pm you my phone number and we can chat.

Ok, I have talked to Dave and will be mailing the molds to him tomorrow. He will have a look and see if he can do the parts. No promises, but he thought he could do them. Stay tuned.

And no bugs or mice are present. Well, not that they were to begin with, but they really hate that stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

Latest posts

Back