mini ice cream maker castings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I have talked to Dave and will be mailing the molds to him tomorrow. He will have a look and see if he can do the parts. No promises, but he thought he could do them. Stay tuned.

This project is becoming more interesting to me. I might not be equipped to finish one off yet but if this flies and the price is reasonable I might be interested.

By the way are the castings to be aluminum or cast iron?

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

I was planning on casting in yellow brass. I have yellow brass, red brass, silicon bronze, white bronze, 356 aluminum, zinc, cupronickel, and grey iron on hand.
the cupronickel and grey iron require a higher tempature rated investment and would be very expensive....The white bronze is a bit brittle but very nice looking...

I was planning on casting in yellow brass. I have yellow brass, red brass, silicon bronze, white bronze, 356 aluminum, zinc, cupronickel, and grey iron on hand.
the cupronickel and grey iron require a higher tempature rated investment and would be very expensive....The white bronze is a bit brittle but very nice looking...

Where would you be located?

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

Molds arrived safe and sound this afternoon. I have to make up a couple of backing plates for them, then its on to the wax injection..

So far so good, parts inject nicely. A couple more hours at the wax pot and we will be ready to start spruing up the lot.

I'm interested to watch you sprue this up and see the castings. I've recently bought myself some lost wax casting supplies and will have some learning to do!

Jared

I'm interested to watch you sprue this up and see the castings. I've recently bought myself some lost wax casting supplies and will have some learning to do!

Jared

Its difficult to show and explain how the parts are sprued up. Some parts are straight gravity cast, some are bottom up pours, some will need vaccum cast. There is no magical science, just something you learn from experience. I will try to explain what I am doing and why, but every part is different and long thin parts can be the most challenging.
Main things to look at are head pressure, tempature, and thin cross sections.
Not sure if this has helped you any, but if you show me a part that you have trouble casting I will be able to show you some tricks to make it come out right.

Looking good. My bucket is coming along also. I have it glued up and started sanding.

Anxiously awaiting your results on the casting progress.

After you determine process time and results, will you offer any sets for sale? Hopefully in brass.

Thanks. th_wav

Anxiously awaiting your results on the casting progress.

After you determine process time and results, will you offer any sets for sale? Hopefully in brass.

Thanks. th_wav

I plan on casting in brass and will be offering a limited number for sale. Im working on repairing the one mold for a fitment error right now, then will be casting them up...

Ok had to finish some lost pla castings to free up my flasks so I can get moving on this project. I started working on straightening out a couple of errors on the top casting. The first problem although somewhat minor was that the shaft that drives the gear was not perfectly centered.

No big deal really, just plugged the holes so they can be drilled out after casting. The bigger problem was the center square hole that the mixer fits into was way over sized
and the mixer would just spin in the hole.

I sat around and thought I would machine a mold to make a wax bushing to fit the hole but the time it would take might not have fit into the deadline to get to finished mixer to the show and I decided to 3d print a bushing to take up the clearance. The plastic bushing is waxed into place and will be burnt out the same way the wax is so it will be one solid cast part when done. Ron also had informed me that there was an issue when casting with the small core breaking off inside the mold. I can see where this would be a potential problem and I am hoping that my fiberglass reinforced investment will be able to hold up to the task. If it doesnt I will have to fill in the square hole and I will cast a bushing separately with the square hole that can be turned down and pressed into a drilled hole in the casting.

so ive been sitting here now spruing up parts, most of which are just gravity cast but will be vacuum assisted. casting a few extra of the smaller parts to better utilize flask space.

Ok going to start mixing investment now....

Just a quick update, the parts are all invested and are in the kiln being burnt out as I type. I dont know if I will pour late tonight or early tomorrow, but ill post pictures as soon as I do.

Ok I cast up the parts today and have started cutting them off thier sprues. Had a problem with the vacuum flask, the investment failed under vacuum and leaked out all the brass so I have to re pour the beaters and lids (that sucks) but the other castings did come out well...

failed flask...

casting sets will be 150.00 per set. I diid away with the square hole on the top frame casting and am suppling a bushing with a square hole that will need to be turned and the press fitted into the top casting.....

sorry for the delay, I got the mixers cast up but had some trouble with the lids. Im investing some more lids today. I havd the coupler on my vacuum pump fail and tried to pour the lids as a gravity cast. Bad Idea!! I wasnt able to find a coupler for the vacuum pump so I had to print one out LOL I love 3d printing.... anyway heres a shot of the mixers. Bob, ill will bring your castings to cabin fever with me on Saturday, Ill meet you around the hmem table.

blown coupler

cad model

printed coupler

Latest posts

Back